Who's bigger... Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Another interesting question... who's better? [​IMG]
    THIS IS NOT A POLL.

2. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

Didn't Boogie Nights establish that Mark Wahlberg is the biggest?

3. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

I thought this was a family-oriented forum! [​IMG]

4. DonMac

DonMac Stunt Coordinator

Easy! Brad Pitt.
    Brad's a good 6' tall while Tom Cruise is only 5' 7" (and he's probably stretching the truth there a bit). Heck, I bet one of the reasons Tom divorced Nicole Kidman is that he got tired of her towering over him all of the time. (Nicole is 5' 10", Penépole Cruz is 5' 6" -- see what I mean?)
    And, in a fight, Brad would probably win over "Shorty" in a Snatch-like one punch deal!
    [​IMG]

5. Terrell

Terrell Producer

As for who's the biggest movie star, that's easy. It's Tom Cruise. As for who is the better actor? Easy Tom Cruise again. There is nothing about Brad Pitt that I like as an actor. I don't think he's that good. I usually despise all of his movies, except Seven, which I thought was excellent. Wanna see Pitt get acted off the screen, watch Seven and watch Morgan Freeman do his work.[​IMG]

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I know you've seen this sentence before, Terrell, but: I couldn't disagree more.

Legends of the Fall and 12 Monkeys feature two of the best performances by a young actor in the past 10 years. Heck, I think Pitt saved Legends from being an otherwise dull film (though I don't remember it well, so don't take that last bit too seriously). He was also good in Se7en and very enjoyable in Fight Club.

Tom Cruise has the same weasly, obnoxious three facial expressions. Magnolia and Eyes Wide Shut were supposed to be acting vehicles for him, and I thought he completely stunk up the screen. He's like a younger John Travolta.

As for who's "bigger," what do you mean? Who has more fans? I don't know, I've never taken a poll. I think a lot of people might just be getting fed up with Cruise. Though one shouldn't allow an actor's personal life to cloud their enjoyment of a performance, a lot of people just get disgusted with his Scientology and his wife and all the over-the-top Hollywood crap. Pitt is slightly less annoying in that regard.

Cruise probably gets more money. He's much more established and has been around longer, so it's probably not even fair to compare them that way.

7. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

BRAD F'N PITT: Fight Club and 12 Monkeys, 'nuff said.

BTW, do you really think that Tom Cruise would squat between two cars and take a crap as an incomprehensible Irish pikey when he could be making $20 million walking through some fluff action film or rom com, like Brad Pitt did in Snatch? Hmmmm?!

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

9. Steeve Bergeron

Steeve Bergeron Cinematographer

Steeve Bergeron
    Tom Cruise is the biggest star but Brad Pitt is the better actor (IMHO, of course).

10. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

11. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I'm pretty sure that Tom Cruise gets paid more per movie than Brad Pitt. Does that make him the "bigger" star? [​IMG]

12. Scott W.

Scott W. Second Unit

Tom Cruise.

Scott

13. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Tom Cruise

14. Terrell

Terrell Producer

To each his own I guess Mike. I think Pitt is average at best. At many times below average. And he looks like he needs to take a friggin' bath. He looks nasty. As for Tom Cruise, I've really liked a lot of his films. Minority Report looks far better to me than anything Pitt's made other than Seven. And Freeman has as much to do with that film being successful than Pitt, and of course the script and director. Cruise's Interview With A Vampire performance in my opinion bettered Pitt's. Although Pitt was better here than I've ever seen him in anything else. Tom's Magnolia performance was great. I don't know how you could think it was terrible. Eyes Wide Shut, pretty much the same. Excellent.

As for who's the bigger star, there is no question Cruise walks all over Pitt in this department. More money, bigger and more impressive body of work, way more successful films. He simply brings more butts to the seat than Pitt ever will.

15. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

I believe Brad Pitt is the better actor, by far.

16. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

Tom Cruise, Inc. is bigger.

Brad Pitt is better.

17. Alan Benson

Alan Benson Stunt Coordinator

Cruise has much more Hollywood box-office clout. I guess that mean's he's bigger.

He's also a pathetic actor -- his supposedly great turn in Magnolia was the worst thing about that film, particularly when he was pretending to cry at Jason Robard's (practically-real) deathbed...

He's never successfully projected compassion on screen toward anyone or anything... Maybe that's because, by all indications, he's such a jerk in real life...

18. Scott_G

Scott_G Second Unit

Cruise is bigger.

I haven't seen Pitt carry a movie to the bank like Cruise.

Both are marginal actors.

19. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

IMHO, Cruise is bigger but Pitt is better, he has more depth than Cruise. Cruise is Cruise in every single movie..... almost always a young punk with something to prove who winds up on top....wow, what incredible depth!