Whos best: Denon DVD1600 or Panasonic RP-82?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rivera, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Rivera

Rivera Auditioning

Which one of this dvd's players is best? Or, can I choose from any other in the $400.00 budget?

The player is going to be used in a Infocus 340B DLP projector, with a 80" diagonal screen, so image quality is extremely important.

2. JasonLC

JasonLC Stunt Coordinator

RP82, XP30, or XP50 would fit your situation perfectly. Don't waste your money on the Denon if you don't need the Burr Brown DACS which have been said to not sound any better then the RP82/XP50's. If you don't need DVD-A I would highly recommend the XP30 since it is same video internals as RP82.

3. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

In my opinion,

having the the RP-82 and now the proud owner of a Denon 1600, the analog audio quality for DVD-A and CD audio is better imho. I think $400.00 will be well spent on the 1600.

Reg

4. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Reggie and I agree. The RP-82 is a great player for the money in the PQ area. If you are looking for DVD-A and CD Redbook playback too, spend the extra money and go for the Denon 1600.

I've HAD them both in my system together and although time has elapsed since my demo, that was my experience. Having a dedicated SACD/Redbook player, the Denon went back and I kept the 82.

Price on the 82 was $200 and the 1600 was $500 here in the states.

Jason gives you some alternatives to the 82 as it appears to be difficult if not impossible to find anyway. Don't pay those outrageous prices on Ebay for this player. Great for sellers but not good for buyers. Those high prices make no sense to me at all.

Much luck,
    Charles