Whoops! Damaged my Atoms. :(

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Garrett Lundy, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

OK, so I have a pair of Paradigm Atoms (v.3) that make-up the front L/R of my 5.1 system.

The problem is my GF's friend's children (teenagers) spent the weekend while I was out and decided to use my DVD player and PS2 all day long and keep things at an unhealthy volume. Now my speakers 'crackle' every now and then [​IMG]
    I'm using a $150 pioneer VSX D511 receiver. I'm assuming that they ran it to clipping and the budgewt amps couldn't keep up. (wouldn't be suprised).

*Are atoms repairable? How much should it cost? Or should I just invest in new speakers, and a more powerful amp?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Sounds like fried voice coils. Talk to your dealer, parts should not be too expensive, and you should have them take a look to make sure what is damaged. Since the grilles are not removable, you might want to have the dealer take care of it also, unless you have worked on speakers previously.

3. Fred_Krampits

Fred_Krampits Stunt Coordinator

Garrett:

I'd take to to the dealer and get a estimate, then teach the kids the true meaning of accepting responsiblity! [​IMG]

4. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

Garrett,

You are a kind and patient man! Fred is right, sounds like some discipline is in order. You can repair the speakers without any problem.

Always good reason to upgrade as well!!!

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I would definitely decide to upgrade your reciever and deliver some punishment towards the kids(if you can).

6. Charlie C

Charlie C Stunt Coordinator

'and deliver some punishment towards the kids'
    dang shane,dorian,fred, I would hate to be your kids. IMO its no fault of the kids. yes they caused it, but they didnt know, just as Garret might not have known that the pioneer would cause his atoms to fry. bad situation, but I see no way to blame the kids.

"all day long and keep things at an unhealthy volume"
    what volume would that be? were their ears bleeding when you got back? unhealthy for the atoms, yes but was there a warning on the volume control saying 'this will fry my speakers if you turn it up this loud'? I personally like to listen to music at 'healthy volumes' such as 90+ db's and up.

7. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Maybe you can get it all by having the teenagers pay for at least the cost of repairing the speakers and a receiver from the girlfriend for giving them too much freedom in your house.

8. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

Hey Charlie,

Now keep in mind the true meaning of discipline comes from the latin word meaning "to teach." I do not believe in direct punishment but there should be a lesson involved.

However, teenagers know when loud is too loud. It is about respect of one's property and teaching them how to treat those things belonging to others![​IMG]

9. Charlie C

Charlie C Stunt Coordinator

"It is about respect of one's property and teaching them how to treat those things belonging to others!"

respect ? whats that? isnt that an Aretha Franklin song or something.

I see your point. it wasnt even his GF's kids, it was her friends kids. but teenagers, tell them not to do it and they will do it anyway. but your point is well taken.

10. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I’d say it’s probably the crossovers that were damaged. Damaged voice coils don’t manifest as intermittent problems like you’re having. Typically you’ll hear a constant, slight buzzing sound, more readily apparent at low volumes than high.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

11. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Trust me, as much as I'd like to get some real-world use from my two black belts I'm not going to use it on a pair of 14 year olds who didn't know that Dance Dance revolution was not meant to be played at 5 below refrence. I'm saving it for the guy that dinged my car at the mall [​IMG] (I am so gonna go Sonny Chiba on his ass if I find him [​IMG] [​IMG] )

I always new that budget reciever would cause problems sooner or later. Thats why I've been watching movies at a reasonable -35 DVD ( -45 for "hot" mixed movies like LOTR) / -50 dish network.

Oh well, I guess I'll have the speakers looked-at by the dealer. and while I'm there browse the NAD recievers (my NAD stereo integrated has yet to dissappoint me).

12. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

only mildly related, a repairman sent by my landlord knocked one of my studio20s off it's stand and it tumbled into the wall.

End result: Very minor cosmetic damage to the s20 but scrapes and a hole in the wall larger than an inch wide.

I'm glad my s20 is built tough.