What's new

"Whoopee" and "Kid Millions" on DVD (1 Viewer)

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
It's now been a year since MGM/Fox released its gargantuan "Hollywood Musical Collection" set, with a few new DVD releases included with the other classics. I know "The Goldwyn Follies" was released separately, but what about "Whoopee," "Kid Millions," and any other DVD premieres that might have been included in that set?

I know MGM's financial condition is precarious, but the mastering has already been done. Most musical fans already owned most of the titles in the boxed set, and wouldn't want to spend hundreds of dollars just to get a few new titles.

Anybody have any inside scoop on this?

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I guess Variety has answered my question, since MGM is off to the auction block. I do hope Time Warner gets the rights to the current MGM catalog -- despite their poorly managed online sales system, Time Warner at least knows how to handle catalog titles.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118011199.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Well, if I had to pick a studio to get the rights today, I'd go with Sony. Outside of the occasional premiere catalog title, Warner seems to have lost almost all ability to "handle" catalog titles. All this is my opinion, of course.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
The consensus in Hollywood is that MGM will be broken up into several pieces in order to get the best price for each. They seem to think that Warners will get the library, someone else will get the rights to the name and logo and someone else (Tom Cruise?) will get the name and logo for UA. The library is the most valuable of the pieces, but in the know seem to think it is not nearly as valuable as MGM pretends it to be. They see no value in what is left that has not been released for home consumption. They should to talk to us.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
There even a chance the library could be split into parts. The Bond Films to one party, The Stargate Franchise to another and so on.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by DeWilson

There even a chance the library could be split into parts. The Bond Films to one party, The Stargate Franchise to another and so on.
As far as the library is concerned it will go as a whole and not be split up. This is one area that is worth more as a whole and not a part. The only thing that could happen is Sony step in and claim the Bond Films since they are still part investors, but the other main investors would rather have the money for the franchise split up between them since whatever monies are received will only cover about 35 cents on the dollar.

This is going to be sad and interesting to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks