What's new

Whooo! Bad Santa horrifies Disney execs! (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
This just went from an ABSOLUTELY MUST SEE to a GOD I CAN'T WAIT TO MUST SEE!!

IMDB News

Actor Billy Bob Thornton's new Christmas movie has infuriated Disney bosses - because it portrays Santa Claus as a sex-crazed, foul-mouthed alcoholic. Bosses at the studio - famous for making kids movies - were "totally horrified" after a screening of Bad Santa, insisting the film's content would have appalled the firm's founder, Walt Disney. Dumbstruck executives were stunned by images of Father Christmas having sex while children line up outside his grotto, and appalled by further scenes featuring the mythical icon making youngsters cry and informing them he doesn't really exist. The movie - produced by Disney offshoot Miramax Films - also includes a shoot-out, a murder and a police car chase. A source close to Disney chief executive Michael Eisner rants, "Nothing appears scared anymore. This is not in the spirit of Walt Disney." Another studio insider adds, "This movie borders on being sick." Bad Santa - directed by Terry Zwigoff - hits American cinemas next Friday.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
From the commercials I've seen, it looks pretty damn funny. And since I loved Ghost World, I'm looking forward to seeing Bad Santa.

Also, didn't Miramax get in trouble with Disney because of the ultra violence in Kill Bill?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Sounds like hype from the Disney execs to me (meaning, mock outrage--not the description of the movie).

Is Bob Clark involved in any way (rhetorical question; I know he's not)? This sounds a lot like his Santa from Black Christmas. And, of course, we all know about his A Christmas Story Santa. ;)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Well, I trust IMDB News about as much as I trust the National Enquirer, which is, not at all.

I still thought it was funny.

I'm first in line for anything Zwigoff does. I've been a fan since his 1986 debut film Louie Bluie (which really needs to be on DVD. Howard Armstrong died earlier this year, so there went the chance for a commentary that would have been FANTASTIC!).

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
A similar piece was posted at The Drudge Report.

Frankly I doubt the veracity of any "uproar" that occurs only TEN DAYS before the flick is set to open.

I've been told the movie is very vulgar and very funny, but for Disney to make a stink at this late date fairly reeks of 'reverse advertising'.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
what about all the subliminal sex messages disney has in their movies. i bet those sick bastards really like that kind of stuff.

eric

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Even if they were dumbstruck but what they saw, where the hell were they when they greenlighted picture? I am so sick and tired of studios that when a movie is done and ready to come out, then they decide to bitch about what is in the movie? Didn't they read the script? Weren't they ever present on the set maybe since they were funding it? Doesn't the title of the film say it all?

Sounds like totally BS and a great way to build business...but on the other hand, it is starting to get really hold...It is just like Universal and "House of A 1,000 Corpses." Take a look at the freaking title studio's and it should at least tell you the spirit of the movie.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Sounds like hype from the Disney execs to me (meaning, mock outrage--not the description of the movie).
Ditto! After all, the movie is titled "Bad Santa" and is directed by Terry Swigoff. I'm looking forward to seeing this movie.

I just saw "Ghost World" the other night for the first time and am absolutely enraged at myself for not seeing it sooner. I thought that it was one of the funniest things that I've seen in recent years.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
It's. Rated. R! R! R! R! R! R! R! R! R! R! R! R! R! R! R!

What is it rated? R!

Nothing but bullshit.

derek

Second Unit
Saw the commercial last night looks like garbage. Sad to see John Ritter go out like this on the big screen.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Nothing Disney does anymore is "in the spirit of Walt Disney." Michael Eisner's "leadership" has probably sent dear old Walt spinning in his grave far more often than this movie ever could.

This "outrage" with Miramax is getting pretty old, too. Disney knew what Miramax was all about long before they partnered with them.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
"I'm shocked, shocked to find bad behavior in a film entitled Bad Santa!"

"Your corporate dividends from Miramax, sir."

"Oh, thank you very much."

M.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
MyY bad - made popular would have been a better choice of words.

Anyway, us usual, it looks like Disney's left *** doesn't know what the right one is doing.

Glenn

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
I saw it yesterday and it's very very vulgar and very very funny. I didn't expect much going in but I was extremely pleased with how darkly funny the film is.

It's a good anti-Christmas movie.

Will K

Screenwriter
I saw it yesterday and it's very very vulgar and very very funny. I didn't expect much going in but I was extremely pleased with how darkly funny the film is.
Well, I just went from not interested to quite curious. Wonder if we'll see Silent Night, Deadly Night-style picketing?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks