Whoo-hoo! It's finally happening.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Brian Harnish, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Yup, it's happening at last: I'm finally going to be picking up a brand-new hearing aid on Thursday (if my audiologist get it in by then)!! I opted for GNResound's Canta 7, a Power Behind-The-Ear model. We'll see how it performs with my type of hearing loss (deaf in the left ear, moderate to severe loss in my right).

I'm rather curious as to how a brand-new all digital hearing aid will perform compared to my current 10-year-old analog aid. Should be quite a transition. [​IMG]

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Did you look at Paradigm and B&W before you made your decision?

j/k [​IMG] I'm curious too, I have no clue how a digital one works considering sound is analog. Sounds technological, hope you like it. [​IMG]

3. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

Please let us know how hi-fi audio sounds through that thing. I've always wondered.

4. Brian Harnish

Scott- Yup. I even looked at Bose and as usual, their hearing aids are crap. *snicker* [​IMG]

I also hope I like it. It should be pretty good, with 14 channels and 64-band syllabic noise reduction according to their web site. The aid also has 4 additional programs, which includes a telecoil (for listening on the phone while blocking out background noise), and a program for enhancing music. I'm very curious as to how much the music program will help my understanding of music.

Ron- I definitely will. I'll provide a comprehensive review the day I get the aid. *Especially* as it relates to hearing home theater audio compared to my current analog aid. [​IMG]

I'm hoping it will be a nice transition and not a terrible one.

5. JimColeman

JimColeman Agent

Nice choice in aids Brian. The Canta7 is one of the best available. Remember though, when you get into the upper tier of hearing aid manufacturers, the aids all perform pretty much the same. The audiologist and their ability to program the aid is the most important factor in your success or failure with a particular aid.

In my opinion, Resound, Oticon, and Phonak, are the leaders when it comes to the research and development of advanced hearing aids.

Obviously only having the use of one ear puts you at a disadvantage. Have you consulted an otologist to determine if there is any medical intervention available for your "deaf" ear? Also, have you ever tried a wireless BiCros fitting?

If you have any questions regarding audiology or hearing aids, feel free to ask.

Good Luck!

Jim
    Audiologist

6. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Wow ... I never thought I'd stumble on this topic at HTF. Indeed I do have a immediate question.

My father is a type II diabetic with all the difficult complications that go along with it. In recent years, his hearing has progressively slid down hill ... let me estimate that it was 50% of normal last month. Two weeks ago, it suddenly dropped to say ... 10% of normal. He could barely hear anyone & blasts the TV (which is really frustrating for my mom).

We took him for an earwax flushing 3 days ago and there was an improvement. I'll estimate he's now at 35%.

My question ... is there a decent OTC hearing aid that he can try. He's rather opposed to the idea of a hearing aid (yes, I know how ridiculous that is), but I believe if he tries one, he'll convert. His mobility is limited and we don't want to drag him to an audiologist (no offense Jim) for right now. It was a MAJOR undertaking getting him out to simply have his ears flushed.

What I'm really looking for is a reasonably-priced, in-the-ear device that will offer him some improvement for TV & general conversation in a quiet home environment.

I don't even know where to begin.

Scott

7. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

I have a hearing aid from SVS. [​IMG]

Hope all goes well, Brian.

8. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

I'd also be interested in reading a review of your hearing aids sound quality.

I've always assumed that all hearing aids only reproduce sounds well enough to be able to hear what you absolutely have to hear and nothing more.

I can hear hearing aid designers right now. "You're lucky to be able to hear anything so shut then hell up about sound quality." [​IMG]

9. Brian Harnish

Jim wrote:

10. JimColeman

JimColeman Agent

***Warning-Long Post Ahead***

Scott Dautel- Brian was right on about OTC hearing aids. If it is classified as a hearing aid it has to be dispensed by a licensed audiologist or hearing aid dispenser. There is a "disposable" hearing aid that is available. Don't know the cost but I think it's pretty cheap, maybe around $50 or so. The idea is that when the battery dies, you throw the aid away and buy another one. Now, this is not a good option for the long run, but if a patient wants to just see what a hearing aid will do for them without a large initial investment, this is an option. The aid is called the Songbird. Do a google search for it, the manufacturers webpage may link you to a local audiologist that sells this device. Another option for your dad is a device called a pocket talker. It's about the size of a walkman and has a built in microphone. He wears headphones and it would really help with one-on-one conversation and can be coupled to most TV's. There are other assistive devices available from companies like Willamsound, HalHen, and harcmercantile. All of these companies have a website. I have been using harcmercantile for the past 10 years for various assistive devices and they are some of the best in the business. Radio Shack also has a few devices for the phone and the TV. In reality, your dad would be best served by getting a hearing test done first, then it could be determined what type of device would be best for him.

Scott Strang wrote-

11. Brian Harnish

Jim- How much improvement has been made in the Cochlear Implant technology? I'm sure it won't restore normal hearing but will it help restore hearing to the point (maybe even to the point of moderate to severe loss; similar to my right ear?) where I can use a hearing aid effectively in my left (deaf) ear?

Since I've been deaf in my left ear all my life (at least from age 3 onward), how much of a learning curve will it be for me to learn how to interact socially using both ears?

12. JimColeman

JimColeman Agent

Brian, the details of the CI are beyond my scope. You should now though that the CI does not restore hearing. It is a procedure that is used to electrically stimulate a non-functioning cochlea. You will never wear a traditional hearing aid on that ear just the CI and the processor. The major advancements have been in the amount of channels they can use. I think they are now using 24 channels. When I refer to channels, I'm not talking about channels like you would find in a traditional hearing aid. I'm talking about 24 electrodes that stimulate the cochlea at 24 points, providing a more complete frequency response.

Try this link for more answers.
    http://www.cochlearamericas.com/What/161.asp

Remeber though, that if you have pretty decent hearing in your better ear, you would not be a candidate for a CI.

13. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Congrats on your upgrade, may it make hearing more pleasant! I wish my Dad would give in to his ego and get one, he's been miserable and making others miserable as his hearing and eyesight get progressively worse as he ages....

Sam