Whole house water filters.... HELP!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Gary Seven, May 10, 2004.

1. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Hello All,

I'm hoping some of you will help me with my latest dilemna.

I am looking to buy a whole house water filter. I saw a few I'm considering, ranging from about 800 to 2000 bucks. I'm trying to find some kind of review on them but find nothing. The best I can find are reviews for the kind that you screw on your kitchen tap.

Doen anyone use such a device in their home and if so, can you advise me as to what to look for and what to avoid? Specific brand recommendations are also welcome. Thanks.

2. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

There was a review in Consumer Reports (not the best resource, I know) in an issue earlier this year. February/March, something like that. I don't recall the specifics, but I believe Kenmore was one of the highest rated.

Sorry I couldn't be more useful. I was actually researching water softeners so I didn't pay that much attention.

3. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

I've never actually seen a whole house water filter. We have whole house water softening, and then an under the counter model filter on our kitchen sink, but that's it.

All I can add is that when looking at water filters, you might consider a filter that includes both activated carbon filtering and a UV light source to remove additional contaminants.

Matt

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

a UV sterilizer doesn't remove anything, it just kills any living thing in the water.
    they're somewhet common on saltwater fish tanks. The carbon block prefilter would remove big bugs/small birds though.

What do you want to do? Why do you need to filter? I don't have experience with whole house filters, but have quite a bit with reverse osmosis systems (fish tank...)
    If you just want better tasting water I'd suggest an RO system wit a faucet in the kitchen and a line to your icemaker, if you've got other problems I dunno...

5. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

I buy water filters at a website called bestfilters.com
    They have whole-house filters and a bunch of other types. They also have a knowledge base where you can research stuff.

They are prohibited by state law from selling whole-house filters in certain states (ie. California) because some states require individual testing of the water source.

Check it out. It's a good site, even if you don't buy there.

Dave

6. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

I'm not sure about this, but I think that it also destroys some types of volatile organic compounds (VOCs)

Matt

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

8. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Thanks for your responses. My water is very hard with high chlorine content. I wanted a whole house filter to have filtered water running through all outlets of water... shower, washer, dishwasher, fridge, etc.

I considered RO but that is not recommended as a whole house filter, even though they are among the best for filtered water. I did find a couple of units that are comprised of both UV light for microbe killing and activated carbon for impurity removal. However, looking for some kind of review or rating on these products is impossible, it seems. It looks like I will have to make a decision based on the web site content and support.

Thanks again for your input.

9. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

Sounds to me like you need a water SOFTNER and then perhaps a water filter on your DRINKING water. Filters are somewhat expensive to operate and there is no reason to have good tasting water coming out of the toilets IMO. [​IMG] But it is important for the longetivity of your plumbing fixtures to prevent buildup from hard water and eventual failure. Kenmore water softners are a very good value. A RO filter works very well for improving the taste of water. Can usually be located in the Kitchen under the sink so that it feeds your tap and the ice maker.

10. Micah Lloyd

Micah Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

Yup, it sounds like you're after a water softener system. I got a local company to do it for my house - hot water only (my choice - they also ran a cold-water line to my washing machine for me). It costs me about $40/month and the equipment and installation was free. They come out about once a month to change canisters.

11. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Yes, for the hardness you need a softener, not a filter. The softener will be for the whole house, except for the kitchen. Since it adds sodium to the water, there are regulations about having it running to sources of drinking water, in case someone is on a low-sodium diet. You can just install a under the sink that supplies good tasting water to the kitchen faucet and the refriderator.