Whole House Surge Protector

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Koch, May 6, 2002.

1. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Stunt Coordinator

Hi:

I just read Bryan Acevedo's post about a dedicated 20 amp curcuit for his HT, something I have been considering for a while. In my case, the cheap-o's who built my house did the whole thing with a 125-Amp main box... and wiith the Dryer, the range, the AC, there is no more room!

So I am thinking about a 200 AMP box for the house, and yes, I will DEFINITELY have a REAL electrician put that in... I get sweaty in the palms just thinking about that much juice!

So, if I am gonna do that, shoule I add a whole-house surge protecter at the same time?

Dave

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Sure, you can check it out. The relevance is controlling spikes (to ground) and protecting other appliances (microwave, washer/dryer etc).

"Whole house" ought not to be considered a total replacement -- if you're really prudent -- to point of use surge protectors for the amps, tv, CD, DVD etc and your computer/modem station.

If I've got this right, whole house is the first line of defense especially in electrical storm/lightning prone areas; neighborhoods with overhead power distribution lines; and power substations situated

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

who will be adding the whole house surge protector, the utility company?

4. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Whole house surge suppression/protection systems are talked about in a couple of threads at AVS that I looked up a while back.
    Here's one or two I found again with a quick search:
    Thread 1
    Thread 2

5. Brian Treinen

Brian Treinen Stunt Coordinator

We recently built an addition to our house, a family room which our HT is in. I had our electrician run 2 20amp duplex outlets dedicated for HT gear. I asked him about surge protection and the concept of going "whole house". He didn't have any input on whether to go MOV based or something like zerosurge/brickwall, however he did say that if I did whole house (which he could add for not much extra $$) if it were him he would (and does) STILL use point of use units for anything he really cares about (i.e. computer, HT gear). Looking at what I have he said skip whole house and go with point of use - which is what I did. The computer isn't an issue for me because it's behind a UPS. My HT is now sitting behind a 20A two-outlet Zerosurge unit with a Tripp-Lite 8 outlet HT unit downstream from that.

6. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

I like your strategy, brian [​IMG]
    That's solid, mainstream surge protection IMO w/o dithering over "balanced power" and "power conditioning". (Many do and will, but to me it gets into tweak/upgraditis areas and is not general but system, climate and power utility/distributiuon dependent.)
    bill

7. Brian Treinen

Brian Treinen Stunt Coordinator

Bill,
    Thanks! After a couple of months of research (during the construction - or should I say DEstruction) into all the balanced power and other conditioning I asked myself - what am I after? Answer: Lowest cost, effective protection of my system. If there are sonic benefits then great but that's not what I'm after. I figured between the dedicated 20A service and the Zerosurge I had it knocked. $$ out of pocket, $10 each for 2 hospital grade 20A outlets and $180 for the Zerosurge. I considered the two lines "free" since they would have put outlets there anyway.
    There is just no way I could justify >$600 for some esoteric power system. Now, if I was at the point where I had invested tens of thousands of dollars on the finest audio equipment and was trying to wring that last bit from my system a PS Audio power director downstream from a balanced power unit would probably be the way to go, but that would set me back almost $3G's [​IMG]