Whole House Fan

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mark Paquette, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

Has anyone here installed one of these? Any tips or advice on brands, installation, etc.? I'm considering installing one this fall in order to hopefully use the AC less next summer. I live in Michigan and although we get some warm days, it generally cools off nicely at night. I have a new house with a large attic and plenty of attic ventilation. I'm pretty handy and would do the installation myself.

2. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Many years ago I installed a Sears one. At that time they were a very popular brand for whole house fans. Whole house fans do work very well.

3. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

Would this be the same as an attic fan?

From what I gather you install this in a central location in the ceiling of a house and when it turns on, the flaps open, and air is sucked up from the lower locations and pushes air into the attic, with open windows it can be a quick way to refresh all the air in the house and lower the temp in the attic.

Am I right on this?

4. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Mark,

I'll pretend I know what I'm talking about until the real carpenters show up.
    Suppose the trickiest part is electricity...to the fan and then down a nearby wall to a switch/timer. Check out the area where you imagine you're going to want to mount this beast. Keep in mind that it will roar when it's on. I like the sound of mine, puts me right to sleep and when winter comes the quiet is, too quiet.
    Anyway, back to your ceiling joists, check out the spacing and plan on framing this thing in. Mine is 24"x24" and has a motor off to one side that turns a belt driven fan. Every 10 years or so I have to replace the belt. Next time it will be interesting to see if I can still wiggle throught the trapdoor into the attic. [​IMG]

5. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

I thought the topic said "Whore House Fan".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Never mind.

6. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

They'll be here, I just know it. [​IMG]

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Maybe not...if they all read the thread title as "whore house fan", too! [​IMG]

8. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

You guys had me thinking that I mis-typed the title of my thread. Maybe I should have said entire house fan or fan that is placed in the ceiling, between the top floor of a house and the attic for the specific purpose of removing the hot from the house to the attic and replacing it with cooler air from outdoors. Nah, whole house fan sounds better. [​IMG]

9. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

The model we used has insulated, motorized doors that open before the fan turns on and close when it's off. This model is more expensive than something from Sears or Home Depot, but I liked the idea that the ceiling is completely sealed and insulated when the fan isn't on. I know Michigan can dip down pretty low in the winter so keeping the heat in is probably a concern for you. It also comes with two wireless remotes which is a nice convenience.

It doesn't get too terribly hot here in the summer, but when it does, as soon as it cools off in the early evening we'll fire up that fan and it does the trick. They are all fairly loud, though.

My ceiling joists where I chose to install it were 16" which is the same width of this fan. I just installed a couple of 2x4 cross braces to complete the rectangle and it slid right in. After the grill was on I noticed that the raw joists kind of stood out so I spray painted them black. As for wiring, like any fixed device it has to be wired to a switch to meet code, even though this model can get around it with the remote.

10. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

Mine is controlled by a thermastat on the unit itself, making installation and operation much simpler. Makes a huge difference in house tempature. If I'm standing "below" it outside, it feels almost like an oven.