whole house audio, using speaker selectors?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Hine, Sep 2, 2001.

1. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

First let me explain the situation. Some acquaintances of mine went out and purchased about $25,000 worth of home theater equipment and speakers throughout the home. However, the job was not done very well. Enter me. I can fix everything without a problem and make it work how they want it to. My only concern is amplification for the speakers throughout the house.
    In a perfect world they will go with a combination of a 12 channel amp and a 6 channel amp (they have 18 speakers throughout the house). They are hesitant to spend a lot of money though, seeing as how they just spent a good chunk of change with an unsatisfactory result.
    The only alternative I can think of is to get 2 "6 speaker (pairs) selectors with impedance protection" and feed one selector the main left and the other selector the main right. I know this would work. My question is would there be anything inherently "dangerous" about this setup? Sure, there is impedance protection but there would still be 10speakers drawing current from each channel of the receiver (Marantz SR5000). I want keep the price down for this couple as I feel for them, but I don't want to damage their equipment either. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Dan Hine

2. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Dan,
    You're asking too much of the Marantz. Look at the Niles 275 or something similar. I think it retails for $550 and it is made to drive 4 pairs of speakers. Then you can send the signal through speaker selectors. The Marantz can't handle the load well.

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Thanks Bill. I greatly appreciate the info.
    Dan Hine