Whole home audio, Help!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JeromeB, Mar 10, 2004.

1. JeromeB

JeromeB Agent

I am interested in whole home audio (about 6 listening zones). This is new construction with plans for a wired computer network. Most systems for independent audio zone control are very pricy and/or complex (Arrakis DC-6, Zon audio, Fireball). I have settled for whole home single audio, with only volume control with IR capability at each zone (vol/IR switch).

Background: I plan to primarily listen to CD music, and do not need video to multiple sources. I would like to store all my CDs on a computer in my home theater (e.g. on a Gateway FMC-901X (musicmatch) connected to an A/V receiver). I would plan on turning on the receiver remotely using vol/IR switch in a remote zone. Then I could use a remote computer to select my Musicmatch playlist and play. Is it reasonable to remotely access my music on my server and play it onto a home audio network? Is there a better way?

I initially considered Onkyo’s 901/500 Net-Tune, but on other discussion groups all I hear about is trouble. Most of you are thinking, if you are building a house, for crying out loud, spend some money and do it right. Problem is that a bathroom redo turned into a complete gut job, including foundation, roof, exterior etc. and I have no money left. Only bright side is by digging out the basement I get to put in a home theater.

Is this totally lame? Be kind. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-jb
    [​IMG]

2. John Morton

John Morton Stunt Coordinator

My new house is also FINALLY under construcion. I wasn't planning to get complex (JUST run speakers with a volume control on the wall in each room). However, I would be interested in any comments on this too.

3. JeromeB

JeromeB Agent

John,

I decided to do what you describe. I am using a Russound ALTx-WIRi 2D infrared volume controller in each room. Panning on a A/V Denon 3805 with three zone ability. This way, although it is not a complete indepedent zone set-up, will provide for plenty of flexibility.

Regards,
    -jb

4. John Morton

John Morton Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the Tip Jerome!! Sounds like a nice solution. I haven't done much research yet, but I'll also start with Russound. I'm current running a Sony STR-DB930 receiver but look to upgrade once we're in the new house. I'm looking at the new Sony digitals, but I'm not 100% sold on anything at this point. I'll probably wait for next year's models.

Worse case scenario, I may go with a single zone switch in the HT room (wife control and no remote to loose :)?

Thanks again!! Have a great day!!