What's new

Whole home audio, Help! (1 Viewer)

JeromeB

Agent
I am interested in whole home audio (about 6 listening zones). This is new construction with plans for a wired computer network. Most systems for independent audio zone control are very pricy and/or complex (Arrakis DC-6, Zon audio, Fireball). I have settled for whole home single audio, with only volume control with IR capability at each zone (vol/IR switch).

Background: I plan to primarily listen to CD music, and do not need video to multiple sources. I would like to store all my CDs on a computer in my home theater (e.g. on a Gateway FMC-901X (musicmatch) connected to an A/V receiver). I would plan on turning on the receiver remotely using vol/IR switch in a remote zone. Then I could use a remote computer to select my Musicmatch playlist and play. Is it reasonable to remotely access my music on my server and play it onto a home audio network? Is there a better way?

I initially considered Onkyo’s 901/500 Net-Tune, but on other discussion groups all I hear about is trouble. Most of you are thinking, if you are building a house, for crying out loud, spend some money and do it right. Problem is that a bathroom redo turned into a complete gut job, including foundation, roof, exterior etc. and I have no money left. Only bright side is by digging out the basement I get to put in a home theater.

Is this totally lame? Be kind. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-jb
:)

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
My new house is also FINALLY under construcion. I wasn't planning to get complex (JUST run speakers with a volume control on the wall in each room). However, I would be interested in any comments on this too.

JeromeB

Agent
John,

I decided to do what you describe. I am using a Russound ALTx-WIRi 2D infrared volume controller in each room. Panning on a A/V Denon 3805 with three zone ability. This way, although it is not a complete indepedent zone set-up, will provide for plenty of flexibility.

Regards,
-jb

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the Tip Jerome!! Sounds like a nice solution. I haven't done much research yet, but I'll also start with Russound. I'm current running a Sony STR-DB930 receiver but look to upgrade once we're in the new house. I'm looking at the new Sony digitals, but I'm not 100% sold on anything at this point. I'll probably wait for next year's models.

Worse case scenario, I may go with a single zone switch in the HT room (wife control and no remote to loose :)?

Thanks again!! Have a great day!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks