1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Who'd buy a 'Match Game' DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by R. Kay, Oct 3, 2002.

1. R. Kay

R. Kay Second Unit

I loved that show ...

Gene Rayburn and friends.

2. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

My wife and I enjoy watching the re-runs, but I can't imagine owning a disc of it.

3. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I'd actually buy it in a hearbeat. This was one of my favorite shows growing up, and I love the reruns on the Game Show Network. I personally can't think of how they'd release it (season sets seem like they'd be too big), but it'd be fun to have some complete, unedited episodes, along with any behind the scenes stuff they could dig up. A couple years ago, GSN ran a Match Game New Years Eve Marathon, where they showed all the New Years Eve shows from the Match Game's run. Our son was sick that year, so we had to stay home, and watching Match Game all night made it a lot of fun.

4. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

This is certainly my favorite game show of all time, but this is one time where season sets would not be a good idea. A good best-of though would definitely be nice, and I'd purchase that.

5. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

I loved this show in the 70s, and I still catch reruns of the Game Show Network, but I don't think a DVD release is warranted. I mean, the reruns are on several times daily!

6. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    Dicky Dawson is my hero. I'd love a set of highlights from 1973 through August 1978 (when Dawson left). They can put the later episodes in a separate set so that I don't have to endure the agony of watching Bart Braverman.

DJ

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Anybody remember when Jeopardy! was on NBC-TV back in the 1960s and early 1970s? It ran weekday mornings, and Art Fleming was host. Grew up on it, and became smart enough to play the current thing hosted by Alex Trebeck.

But buy a DVD of vintage game shows? Hmmmm. Password, What's My Line?, College Bowl ... I have sentimental spots for these slices of Americana (produced when game shows really could tax the ol' noggin'); dunno if I'd care to watch excerpts on DVD or not.

8. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

....but instead of putting the dvd into the dvd player, she put it into the ...blank.
    [​IMG]

9. James_S

James_S Second Unit

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Count me in [​IMG] , one of the funniest TV game shows ever, still amazed watching reruns, how much they got away with.

10. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Actually, I'd much rather have the 1964 version of The Match Game.
    Even better ..... Full-season boxed sets of What's My Line? (just the John Daly years; 1950-1967).

11. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I've never seen any of the '64 episodes, so I'm not sure how they compare. One thing I find very amusing are the episodes where it seems like nearly everyone on the panel is smoking. From today's perspective, it's odd to see all these celebrities lighting up on what was an early morning game show.

12. Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman Second Unit

Actually, weren't gameshows all primetime until "The Price is Right" went to daytime?

I love to watch the old "Match Game" reruns, too. Charles Nelson Riley still cracks me up. Since I was a kid when I watched it originally, I certainly do get a different spin on a lot of the jokes now.