What's new

WHOA! Just watched Ring of Fire (DTS) on my dual SVS 16-46+ setup! (1 Viewer)

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Everytime the dragon flapped his wings I felt it in my chest!!! Unreal!

The fly-bys with the dragon were similarly insane!!

Add this DVD to your demo collection it's fantastic!

... The movie itself wasn't half bad either .. I'm not sure what its critics were expecting, but it's a fun adventure frolic ...

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the mains are a pair of CBMs, I had a third but it's dead ... took a fall from a height.

I should also say that I have a new pair of Klipsch RF-3 II's outside my HT room to replace the Ascends as I type this ...

The Ascends while very sweet, cannot handle my mad listening levels ... My typical comfortable music playback level is 105db at the seating position ... That's not even close to when I'm REALLY pushing it, lol

So I really need some speakers that can effortlessly keep up. I must add though that the Ascends at sane listening levels are first rate ... I'd easily purchase them again if I weren't so deaf, lol

Too I HIGHLY recommend them to anyone who's listening levels do not average on the extreme ... but I guess I could say that about any bookshelf ...

RichardH

Supporting Actor
I think you meant "Reign of Fire", right?
I saw it in the theater; didn't like it that much, but I said to myself "This will make a great demo DVD when it comes out!"
:D
Glad you enjoyed giving the SVS a workout.

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
:angry: Yes damnit Reign of fire, lol
Believe you me, my subs haven't had this much fun since Star Wars ATOC! :)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Here I thought that I was missing a Johnny Cash DVD. Of course, the bass wouldn't be much, just the usual boom-chicka boom-chicka :)

DanielN

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah its too bad the movie was awful. I went in thinking the movie would be different, kinda like the U.S. Army vs. the Dragons.
Oh well, I'll rent it to demo my set-up anyway :)

Guyza

Stunt Coordinator
DanieIN,
Have you given the Klipsch a high-SPL workout yet?
How are they?
I'm shopping for these right now....
Thanks,
Guy

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
It's me with the Klipsch and yes they play loudly and cleanly ... They are absolutely FANTASTIC for movies ...
Music reprodution is lacking ... :frowning: They are just ok in that department ... The Ascends outshine them ...
If/when www.ascendacoustics.com come out with a tower capable of sustainded output levels abouve 105dbs I'm there ... For now the klipsch rock for moves ;)

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Marcus, I just gotta ask this question. Are you running your duel SVS hot, or do you have them properly calibrated to a flat 75 db?

The reason I ask, is becase, I have mine set at 75 db and I don't feel any of the wing flapping in my chest. I too have a 16-46, and a second sub, but not two of the same.

Mitch E S

Stunt Coordinator
Mitch,
Have you carefully setup the two subs? It is common for two subs to cancel each other out (and produce little or NO bass) if not properly setup (don't ask me how I know this :) ). Calibrate each sub with the other off and then measure their combined output. Depending on their positions and phase setting you could easily be getting less bass by running the second sub. Are you not happy with the SVS by itself or do you feel the need to run the old sub just because you have it?
Good Luck, another Mitch

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
I have the subs calibrated using AVIA (85dbs) and a radio shack SPL meter. Everything is balanced, so accounting for the Radioshack meter error, they are 3dbs hot ...

I also have a ART 351 EQ before the subs taming a 4-50 hz peak ... Hope this helps in some way ...

As an addendum: I definitely selling my Klipsch setup and going back with the Ascend mini-towers when they arrive ...
I can no longer enjoy music via the Klipsch speakers they are just not as good as the Ascends.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I do have the subs calibrated correctly. I turned one off, calibrated to 75, then turned it off. Did the same thing with the other. Both subs playing together play at 78 dbs, so I'm getting a 3 db increase. I have both subs in the same exact corner, at 0 degrees phase each. Also, it should be noted that the SVS 16-46 is actually sitting ON TOP of my other sub it's a square sub. I've put the SVS on the floor next to it, and there seems to be no difference, but this way, it just takes up less space.

I always listen to moves -10 dbs below reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks