What's new

Whoa! ER (1 Viewer)

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
God, what are they doing, taking lessons from the WWF writers? Tip to all writers regarding all talent: if you can't find something for the talent to do, IT IS YOUR FAULT AS A WRITER. Now, if the talent can't do what you write, you might have a case for getting rid of them. But hell, if they can't find anything dramatic for Dr. Dave to do but get rid of him, it's their own damn fault!
Whereas, say, Kellie Martin's character had to go in part because of Martin's acting range, and part because the writing had damaged her character so much...the latter is still the writers' fault, but at least it was damage control. Dr. Dave was simply shock value + a sad failure to use an underdeveloped character.
------------------

Kevin Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator
Did you guys notice how Sherry Stringfield looks like she aged about 15 years since she left ER? It must be the haircut or something. My wife was like "yowsa - what happened to her?!" when they showed the old/new footage in the preview clip.

GaryEA

Second Unit
quote: From what I remember reading, Malucci, the Asian female doctor and possibly Cleo are on their way out. The writers couldn't seem to come up with stories that actually gave them something to do.[/quote]
When you mean "the Asian female doctor", are you saying that Ming-Na is leaving?
First they kill off Kellie Martin but not before wasting her character and talent. Greene gets a tumor, which was a tremendously moving plotline to me because I've gone through a similar ordeal. Now Ming-Ma is possibly out the window, and knowing the writers of the show, that might end up being literal.
Very frustrating instead of being what it was - entertaining and engaging.
Gary
[Edited last by GaryEA on October 15, 2001 at 01:30 AM]

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I have a hard time believing they're going to get rid of all those other doctors since Anthony Edwards and Eriq LaSalle are already leaving at the end of the year. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to change almost every single major cast member.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Now Ming-Ma is possibly out the window...
I hope not. I like her and the character, all the way back to the second season when she was known as "Deb" (must have missed why she switched to the traditional Asian name.) It was great back then to see her and Carter competing for the residency spot. I wish the writers would develop her character more now. The whole pregancy sub-plot last year was a dead-end. It felt like just a throw-in to pad the episode length. It's painful to watch how the writing has slid so far on this show, while a show like Law & Order is kept fresh year after year.
------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The whole pregancy sub-plot last year was a dead-end.
I believe it was primarily to cover her actual (unplanned) pregnancy.
And as I recall, the character switched to the Chinese name when she came back. Don't know if that was related to the actress dropping her surname from her professional name after getting married. (Maiden name Wen, married a guy named Zee.... hmm, the result doesn't sound good.)
//Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks