What's new

Who WOULDN'T pick Blu-Ray??? (1 Viewer)

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit

Innovator, by definition is someone who helps to open up a new line of research or technology or art.

How is it USING a product equals to innovating something?

Maybe you're using a completely different dictionary that I've never heard of? Or are you re-writing the English language?

I've never seen anybody butchered the English language to such extent just to prove a (wrong) point.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Correct.
The discussion is about marketing (product) not research (development), however. So, the marketing definition is;

Innovators (Venturesome):
Observers have noted that venturesomeness is almost an obsession with innovators. They are very eager to try new ideas. This interest leads them out of a local circle of peer networks and into more cosmopolite social relationships. Communication patterns and friendships among a clique of innovators are common, even though the geographical distance between the innovators may be considerable. Being an innovator has several prerequisites. These include control of substantial financial resources to absorb the possible loss owing to an unprofitable innovation and the ability to understand and apply complex technical knowledge. The innovator must be able to cope with the high degree of uncertainty about an innovation at the time that the innovator adopts.

The salient value of the innovator is venturesomeness. He or she desires the hazardous, the rash, the daring, and the risky. The innovator must also be willing to accept an occasional setback when one of the new ideas he or she adopts proves unsuccessful, as inevitably happens. While an innovator may not be respected by the other members of a social system, the innovator plays an important role in the diffusion process: that of launching the new idea in the social system by importing the innovation from outside of the system's boundaries. Thus, the innovator plays a gatekeeping role in the flow of new ideas into a social system.

I gave a link, if you would like to learn more.

Every profession has their own jargon. Making it tough, for those of us outside the loop. However, if one is going to use marketing terms in their arguments, it would be great if they knew what that definition was. It is more helpful to everyone. Otherwise you spend a page or two of a thread on what means what to whom, as apposed to getting your voice heard on the subject at hand.

So,
An "innovator" IS first in research.
An "innovator" IS first in marketing (or, The Market Place, if you prefer).

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
What are we even talking about anymore?

As someone who purchased a Mitsubishi big-screen set in late 2000, I am constrained to 1080i via component video. Call me what you want. Other people have the same constraint who bought sets before me; other people have similar constraints who bought sets after me.

An optical player with 1080i output sounds pretty good to me--hence the purchase of an HD-DVD player. It should be noted I also have D-VHS, an HD PVR, streaming OTA HD via the Roku, some upsampling DVD players (one of which actually plays Chinese high-definition discs), and a couple of Xboxes. All of these players work via 1080i component.

So BD will work via 1080i component? Great, I may get one of these, too. Meanwhile, I plan to be enjoying HD-DVD. I believe that was the original question in this thread, just not the answer some of you guys seem to expect.

- Steve

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
And yet you will never read the term "innovater" in a home theater magazine or in a home theater forum. Truthfully, the term we use "early adopter" encompasses that. Each hobby has it's lingo that may vary from what the exact dictionary definition. Hell, any specialized field of interests, be it occupational or recreational, either uses existing terms in unique ways or invents it's own. So you can put the dictionary away now, we know exactly what we mean when we use the term "early adopter" even if some people seem confused on the concept.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Man when did this topic turn to Egos. The way some people talk here its liek they invented HD-DVD. I too look forward to the forthcoming reviews of the first releases. I cant wait.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'm just hoping I don't have to wait too much longer. I still don't have shipping confirmation, and word has it that Toshiba has numerous units held up in customs. Sigh.

- Steve

"I didn't invent HD-DVD, but I am sure looking forward to it."

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Shawn,
That does not make any sense.
"we know exactly what we mean"
&
"even if some people seem confused on the concept"
Truthfully, contradict each other.

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

Those confused on the concept would be those getting the dictionary out. Those that were clear on the concept would be the ones that didn't start quoting outside sources and try to get overly technical in thier definitions. ;)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

What is a "good amount of money"?
It cannot be as little as a thousand bucks, can it?

For fun;
"Early Adopters and Innovators have counterparts, known as Laggards and Luddites, at the opposite end of the human spectrum. Laggards are slow or reluctant to embrace new technology because of disinterest or financial constraints. Luddites actively fear or loathe new technology, especially those forms they believe threaten existing jobs."
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...127868,00.html
I'm a "laggard" because of financial constraints!!! :-(

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
Quibble quibble quibble... I'd bother to rebut all that, but I've had enough of it. Those that want thier own definition will never be convinced if they haven't by now. ;)

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
yeah, especially if the definition is a made-up one. Just because it's commonly used, that doesn't make it right.

It's like saying "bad" means "good" in certain contexts, yes people use that and it's a commonly used term, still doesn't make it right in the eyes of the English language.

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

Yeah, just because everyone undertsnads what I'm talking about except for a few, that doesn't make it right. No one should ever make up a new word or use a an existing concept in a special way because some people might not understand and get upset. :rolleyes:

I'm sure everyone in here has special words that use at work or in thier hobby that mean something slightly different to them then to the average person. I know the jargon we use at work is all greek to our customers. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks