What's new

Who WOULDN'T pick Blu-Ray??? (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Based on the way that VC1 works, the most efficeint way to encode/compress film-based material is in progressive form (1080P). Whether a player will downres upon output is another matter. Of course, even if full "1080P" encoding is achieved...other issues can affect absolute resolution such as if the studio applies any pre-filtering to the image as is common (bad) practice with DVD.

Many DVDs would literally look TWICE as sharp were they not pre-filtered. Even well-regarded titles like Fellowship of the Rings are excessively-filtered and don't even make use of DVDs 720 x 480 resolution capabilitites.

In fact, if DVDs were properly msatered, many people would think they were watching HD. The latest Toy Story DVD is a case in point.

Hopefully with HD media the studios will STOP this horrible filtering. If they do, 1080P potential won't be acheived and we'll be forever stuck in the "new improved better transfer" double-dip syndrome.

My vote is to master the feature film right on the first release. Subsequent releases can try to temp for a "double dip" based on bonus material etc...but we shouldn't have a shoddy feature-presentation EVER.

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye

Did it? I know 'Shrek 2' did it a year or two back, but I wasn't aware 'Toy Story' did.

Anyway, it's a good point, as at the moment I'd have to buy the UK 'Shrek 2' to see the UK-specific sequences, which I won't because it's not as important to me as having the film at the right speed. A format with greater bandwidth than just the basic picture & sound has to be a good thing for features like this.

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
HD DVD: $500; availability: March 2007
BD: $500; availability: March 2007 if not later

I won't wait for BD. Most consumers won't wait for BD either. HD DVD will win (sigh) and in the end Disney, Warner, even Sony will have no choice but to release HD DVD, just like Sony now are 'forced' by the market to sell VHS machines.

Greg T

Stunt Coordinator
Thats your story anyway...Blu -ray players and titles are going to be in stores including BB and CC...and will be released 5- 23-06;)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

That's not the messgae I'm getting.

The message that I keep getting is that of the consumers that even CARE about HD, most of them support Blu-ray and view HD-DVD as a temporary distraction and don't plan to waste their dollars on it.

The "average consumer" won't bother with either HD DVD or Blu-ray for years to come. It's technophile-early-adoptors who will decide who wins this war. Buy the format you want to win, don't buy the format you don't want to win. It's that easy. I've chosen the best format to earn my support.

Stan Rozenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I have no clue what's going to happen or who will win the format war. I am buying both players and will enjoy high def dvd as much as possible right now. I do have a feeling that at least one format will be successful and that many average consumers will jump aboard sooner rather than later. I am not saying it will happen overnight, but it won't take ten year either.

Now, there are people who say they will sit out the format war, and my question is, what if the format war lasts as long as the last one (betmax vs. vhs)? You're going to deny yourself high def dvd for six or more years?

I think it's all very abstract for most people right now. Once people will see the difference between high def dvd and upscaled dvd, we'll see if sd-dvd will be good enough as so many people claim. (I remember very well how I was told that vhs was good enough).

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

I have not seen where it has been stated with certainty, that HD-DVD or BD disc will all be 1080p. Would love to hear that was the case! I, for one, will not buy a non-1080p transfer of a film. TV show, cartoon, doc, maybe!
Does anyone know wither a 1080i player would be able to play a 1080p disc?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
this is from Darinp over on AVSforum

everything i have seen says that all film material on both formats will be encoded at the same 1080p.

for all the concern out there about 1080p, i'm surprised as i didn't realize that many people had 1080p displays ;)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
Blu-Ray is encoded@1080p cause it's the one thing they keep tauting regardless if players can output it or displays accept it. 1080p is written on the cover during CES2k6.

HD-DVD i'm not certain.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Will you guys stop it already!

Spend 5 minutes over at AVS and it's pretty clear that both disc formats will be encoded at 1080P because that's the way the *codecs* work best. This is confirmed by people working closely with VC1 codecs and Blu-ray is all about 1080P so I don't think we have any worries about there.

Besides, both 1080P and 1080I are *THE SAME* with film-source material if you properly deinterlace the 1080I signal. Get it?!?!?

How many times do you want us to repeat this???

:D

Juan C

Second Unit

You obviously have never owned a DVD player with flag-based deinterlacing. With my Toshiba SD9200 I saw more combing than you'd get at a beauty salon. :D

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hence, my carefully worded statement:

:D

p.s. as an asside, I do not view any flag-based deinterlacing engine as "proper" because it relies on faith-based assumptions about disc production! I loved my Panny RP91 but the occasional title that couldn't be viewed because of combining was enough to make me swear I'd never use a flag-based progressive-scan player again.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

but if you buy into Blu-ray, aren't you supporting the continued use of MPEG2?
And are we sure, that given Sony & MGM & Disneys past history on DVD, that we won't get compromised OAR presentations passed off on Blu-ray? I would be just as pissed if 2.35 films are truncated down to 16:9 as i am when i see pan & scan releases now.

I also don't understand what i'm seeing as a quasi 'future-proofing' sensibility. It sounds like people are willingly going to drop upwards of $800 on B-d players because 'in the future' they will have a greater choice of titles as well as seeing the benefits of B-ds greater capacity potentials.

this idea of winning & losing seems a product of the wild eyed, true believers- and especially on the Blu-ray side. $500 for a player that will upconvert my 800+ count existing dvd collection as well as play- for as long as the player functions- at least a few halfway decent titles in HD, whether they end up being 20 or 200- just doesn't seem like a budget buster or a radical, risky expenditure that i can see.
most people could buy one of those AND a b-d player at some point when their prices are more reasonable- whereas the talking points on the b-d side seem to be "you should only have one or the other- choose wisely"

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Like I've said *over and over*,

at a format's launch, my purchase supports a FORMAT.

A year or so into the launch once its gotten its feet on the ground, and my purchase supports *titles* that are properly mastered according to proper A/V/Features presentation.

When DVD was released, I purchased non-anamorphic DVD since they still looked better than laserdisc.

A year or so after DVD was launched, I boycotted all non-anamorphic widescreen DVD releases because they didn't take proper advantage of the capability of DVD's potential...and I wrote letters and started campaigns to back up my opinions. And it made a difference.

DVD became an established format because it was bought by early adoptors. 16x9 encoding became standard on WS DVD by the major studios because the consumers who had adopted DVD made their wishes known, and backed it up with $$$.

We can do the same for HD media.

I want to better FORMAT to win, and I'll worry about all the mastering details after the dust has settled. By that point, VC1 and dual-layer on Blu-ray will be options available to stuidos who which to take advantage of them.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
At this point I'm not impressed with either FORMAT, and even less impressed with some of the more extreme partisans of both. I'm going to vote with my dollars to support the hi-def DVD format that I actually want - by keeping my money in my wallet and hoping both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray flop.

I've reached the point where I'm sick and tired of the whole debate and hate both formats equally. (OK, I may hate Blu-Ray slightly more, but only because it pisses me off that a format called Blu-Ray is consistently abbreviated as "BD" for no reason I can discern. :))

A plague on both your houses, I say! :thumbsdown:

I have hundreds of SD DVDs that I'll be happily watching for the next several years until something I actually want to buy reaches the marketplace. :emoji_thumbsup:

I now leave the field to the zealots,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks