What's new

Who Would LOVE White Christmas In 4K And Perspecta Sound For "Holly-days" 2022 (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
SILK STOCKINGS was credited as CinemaSope but I believe it was made with MGM's Panavision lenses (can anyone back me up on that?) and Perspecta.
Got it confused with High Society. My bad.

*High Society was also in Perspecta but had no stereo mix.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Unfortunate because it has a great soundtrack. It seems nuts that a musical with performances by Louis Armstrong Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby was not presented in genuine stereo.

I remember going to Williamsburg in the early '70s with my family and being wowed by the presentation of Story of a Patriot because that style of showmanship in cinemas had pretty much died by then.

Last edited:

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I also want this on 4k disc, the sound and colour grab you from the opening credits. Regular Christmas viewing although I have watched it in July! I hope this and other VV films receive a 4k disc release this year, especially High Society and North by Northwest.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Dave, the Perspecta track on this film is limited but very effective. Paramount used the process sparingly and did not go for a full and complete left/center/right mix as MGM, Warner Brothers and Universal did with the mixing.

The use of creative panning and discrete gain control is very effective in reel one when Bing and Danny are entertaining the soldiers and planes fly overhead and begin bombing. The post-credits audio is all center channel until that moment and not only does the sound pan across the screen but the gain kicks into top level. (It’s comparable to the scene in This Island Earth when the plane buzzes the tower.) The result is quite dramatic and gets your attention!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Dave, the Perspecta track on this film is limited but very effective. Paramount used the process sparingly and did not go for a full and complete left/center/right mix as MGM, Warner Brothers and Universal did with the mixing.

The use of creative panning and discrete gain control is very effective in reel one when Bing and Danny are entertaining the soldiers and planes fly overhead and begin bombing. The post-credits audio is all center channel until that moment and not only does the sound pan across the screen but the gain kicks into top level. (It’s comparable to the scene in This Island Earth when the plane buzzes the tower.) The result is quite dramatic and gets your attention!
Sounds like it was effective

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Too bad it wasn't used throughout. Another film with sensational musical arrangements. Saw it at the Regency and was knocked out by the color from the opening titles. After all those years on broadcast television one understood why initially people thought Technicolor might be too much a strain on the eyes for a full length film. Of course one's eyes adapted pretty quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks