who would like to see 'Cupid' (w/Jeremy Piven) on DVD?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Burn Rourk, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Burn Rourk

Burn Rourk Agent

I really enjoyed the short-lived ABC series 'Cupid' on DVD. (It followed the new 'Fantasy Island' series starring Malcolm McDowell, another show worthy of the boxed set treatment.) 'Cupid' starred Jeremy Piven as Cupid, the matchmaker of Greek Mythology, who has been cast out into the mortal world for failing in his mission. Divorce and infidelity are at an all-time high, and the gods of Olympus hold him solely responsible. He must match up... 100 couples if I remember right... without the use of his powers before he can return to Mount Olympus. He is also not allowed to have sexual relations with any mortals during his exile, or he will be forced to live among us forever.

It's either that, or he really is just a crazy, heartbroken loser with delusions of grandeur as his therapist suspects.

The show never really clarifies either way. All we really know is that ~he~ truly believes he is Cupid.

This show was cleverly written, oozing with charm and wit. It's a shame it didn't last longer so that more of you might be familiar with it. It's small-but-loyal fan base did attempt a rabid "bring back" campaign, to no avail. Just for future info, if you ever see this series released on DVD, it's worth your money as an impulse buy and your time as a weekend marathon.

Can I hear some support for 'Cupid' on DVD?

2. MaraKM

MaraKM Stunt Coordinator

I was so heart-broken when Cupid was cancelled (it took years before I could hear the Chrissie Hyndes theme song without getting teary-eyed), and I would LOVE to see it released on dvd. The casting & the writing was perfection. It's one of the best things that Jeremy Piven has ever done, possibly the absolute best.

One episode of the show had the most obscure in-joke I think I've ever seen. Cupid shared some creative staff with Northern Exposuer (writers Diane Frolov & Peter Schneider, and/or Rob Thomas, I forget). In one scene of Cupid, a character had a book titled "Falling Satelites", which had on the cover a woman who looked like Northern Exposure's Maggie O'Connell. Since one of Maggie's boyfriends was killed by being hit by a falling satellite, it can't have been a coincidence. Someone must have asked the prop department to mock up the book. Cracked me up.

So, YES, I want this on dvd. With some Piven commentary, and some hints as to how they would have liked to end the series.

3. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Yep loved this show as well (and so did my wife). Kept me laughing all the time.

Another show I loved but was cancelled/never finished was BULL on TNT. That was doing well and just up and disappeared. Figures all the shows I like go away!

Greg

4. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Yeah, this is another one of those shows that deserved much better than what it got. It was a great vehicle for Jeremy Piven.

Jason

5. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

I happened to stumble upon the show when I was out of town and stuck in a hotel room. It was really good and I started watching it from about the middle of the run. The writing was sharp and witty and the characters were glib (but not to the point of annoyance like Gilmore Girls). ABC didn't even try to save the show by moving it to another night, same as with another underated show, Vengeance Unlimited. I've held off on tranferring the tapes as I have a hope that this has enough of a cult following to come out. But then again, its not SciFi, so who knows.

6. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Mark To,

Don't mention Vengeance Unlimited. That was a great show. What a shame it was cancelled.