What's new

Who would have thought 1 year ago (re:tv shows)... (1 Viewer)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
MacGyver
Perfect Strangers (I haven't even seen this one in syndication. What happened to it?)
Futurama
Roseanne
Coach
Dinosaurs
Gilligan's Island
Futurama
Get Smart
Seinfeld

All of those I would buy in full season sets.

DanHaya

Second Unit
I think it's safe to say that Paramount will release Star Trek: Deep Space Nine in 2003, with Voyager to follow in 2004. You probably won't see Enterprise until it's run is over (probably in 2009, if it goes the requisite 7 seasons)...then again, since that's a long ways off, you might see the first few seasons in 2005 just so Paramount can keep some new Trek product in the marketplace. And I'd bet that's when you'll see TOS repackaged into season sets. For now, I'll settle for having my 40 TOS discs in my 8 5-disc keepcases with the artwork I downloaded from another thread.

DanHaya

Second Unit
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Miami Vice or Cheers. They're at the top of my list. Seinfeld would be up there, as well as ALF.

For the most part, I'd rather have series that aren't running in syndication all that much. Although the four that I've mentioned are all running in syndication, those are a few that are must-haves for me. But, many of the other series that have been mentioned previously are running constantly, and I couldn't imagine spending my money on a show that I can watch for free every night of the week.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Sooo many good shows we'd all love to see...
It is amazing what's going on...I mean...Sanford & Son? Who'd-a-thunk it? :D
My personal ones I'd love ta see:
Babylon 5
West Wing
CSI
Gilligans Island
Flinstones
All the WB classic cartoons, uncut.
Get Smart
Dark Shadows (both series)
Two "classics" I haven't seen mentioned yet:
Knight Rider
Six Million Dollar Man

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Hey DanHaya!
Glad to hear you're using my ST:TOS covers!

Another show I would like to see on DVD, but will probably never see the light of day is Action!
Ric

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Don't let anyone think that there's not a demand for Cheers, Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman, and Knight Rider.

Also don't forget Battlestar Galactica, Hulk (perfect to release in time for the upcoming film!), Married With Children, and The Tick!

DanHaya

Second Unit
Ric,

Yeah, I'm gonna use them...gotta get 3 of the 8 keepcases replaced first, though (they were damaged in shipping).

I should probably mention this in the other thread, but since you brought it up here...have you thought about redoing the TOS cover art in a similar scheme to the beautiful TNG ones you did (meaning, so that the spines all blend together, etc.)?

Just curious.

--Dan

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I thought about it. Whether I will ever do it, I don't know... maybe someday. The fronts and the back of the covers would have to be changed as well though to conform to the new spine, so they would probably end up looking pretty different.

-Ric

Greg Br

Second Unit
Any reason I have not seen Miami Vice, is it already out or is that a show of low interest?

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
MARRIED WITH CHILDREN,
RED DWARF,
ADDAMS FAMILY

and I hope that LOST IN SPACE come out soon before I outgrow it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Any reason I have not seen Miami Vice, is it already out or is that a show of low interest?
  • It's probably not of "low" interest, but there are shows higher than it in the interest scale. For instance, TVShowsOnDVD (a site I'm affiliated with where you can "vote" for your favorite shows and thereby send messages to the studios that you want them on DVD) lists this down at 134th. Not too low when you consider there are over 2300 shows listed on the site, but still...not even cracking the Top 100.
  • Universal owns it, and they have done very, VERY little TV product on DVD in R1. They've done more TV-on-DVD in R2 (Europe), including MV. Ironically, despite the R2 Universal site saying about MV that "From its conception, music was always to be central to the show", the talk from across the pond is that many of the shows on those discs don't feature all of the original music. Which leads to the next point:
  • The release would probably be caught up in music rights hell, or else edited to remove or replace all the great songs you remember. The studios and the musicians have simply NOT gotten together on music licensing of songs appearing in films and shows on DVD. It has affected DVD releases of Grease and others, and "WKRP in Cincinatti" may [rant]never[/rant] appear on DVD as a result of this issue, we are informed.
  • There is a rumor of a MV movie in the works. Perhaps if that happens, the DVDs will happen in the States...nothing is impossible. Let your voice be heard! :)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

Do you think we will see Giligan's Island? Is there a demand for it?

BrianP

Supporting Actor
I would love to get the Rockford Files in season sets if they were available.

Greg Br

Second Unit
Thanks Dave,

134th is a joke, that was a great show, great music and photography. Oh well such is life I guess.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
. This time he says he'll bypass the glacial pace of feature production and just pitch it to TV networks.
Sounds like noone knows where the rights to the show currently lie. If that's true, then the DVD's might be a long while to come out.
In the meantime, the reunion telefilm Rescue From Gilligan's Island has been on DVD. I've seen it in Suncoast for $6.99-ish, IIRC, and at Best Buy in a 4-titles-on-2-discs package called Great Adventures: 4 Movie Set (the other three were Over The Hill Gang, White Fang To The Rescue, and Seven Lucky Ninja Kids). I think the separate version is now OOP in favor of the newer thing, which runs about $10-ish.
Link Removed Link Removed
Neither item is listed at TVShowsOnDVD yet, but it's on the big "to-be-added" list, so we should correct that soon.

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator
Just to name one show out of many of the great ones already listed,how about Irwin Allen's 1965 TV series "The Time Tunnel".
The Japanese Laserdiscs of it go for outrageous prices on E-bay and with not one, but two new competing versions in the works from Fox and ABC it would be nice to see the original series available on DVD.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info., Dave. I registered on that TV site and put forth my votes.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Shows I want on DVD include:

The Muppet Show (I know it's already available, but not in season sets)
Fraggle Rock
Get Smart
Batman (the Adam West/Burt Ward series)

Blu

Screenwriter
I love the fact that so many TV shows are being put out on DVD! It is truly great times we live in!!!!
I am looking forward to the remainder of the Star Trek series
X-Files
any HBO series
MASH
Futurama
Family Guy
Millenium
and I'm sure there are many more I would buy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bolorkay
Recent bookmarks