What's new

Who Would Buy a Monthly Previews Disk? (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'd love to someboy put out a Monthly DVD with a good assortment of Coming Soon Trailers on them. It would Be nice to have them in Anamorphic Widescreen and DD. Even if it were released for $6 a month or so I think they would break even with payback costs from the studios. I like to try to emulate the THeater experience as much as possible. I've looked into custom intro's but so far they've been very expensive. I'd welcome inexpensive trailers.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'd be all over it. I love previews, and when I subscribed to "Total Movie", it was basically for the disc-o-trailers.

(As to why I'm not now - inertia. My subscription lapsed, it's tough to find on bookstore shelves [and only bi-monthly, so it falls off the radar], the trailers were often old, middling-quality, and non-anamorphic, and the magazine itself was seldom worth reading if you're already getting your entertainment news from the internet)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Am I the only one who thinks the studios would be smart to throw together a disc of trailers every couple of months and GIVE them away? Include them as a freebie with new releases or just give 'em out at the counter of Suncoast or something. After all, these are ADVERTISEMENTS. The studios should WANT us to be exposed to these as much as possible.

But I'll admit that, yes, I'd pay $5 or so for something like this if it was made available. I like this sort of thing and it's always nice to have trailers available when they're not included on the DVD. For example, I have the trailers for The Matrix, Tomb Raider, and Pearl Harbor on DVD, none on which were included on with the official DVD release of the film (Pearl Harbor had it but it contained different music).

Brad M

Second Unit
What they should do is let someone like Best Buy pay for the production costs and in exchange Best Buy gets to sell them for a few bucks or give them away with your purchase. Just my idea.

There would be costs, and someone would have to pay them. I find it hard to believe that studios would be willing to give much of anything away.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
There would be costs, and someone would have to pay them. I find it hard to believe that studios would be willing to give much of anything away.
CDs and DVDs are cheap cheap cheap to make. (Note the tons of free AOL CDs you can find at your local Wal-Mart.) The trailers already exist — all the studios have to do is throw 'em onto a disc.

The studios should be willing to give this away because it is not product, it is advertisment FOR the product! That's how it works — consumers pay for products, while the manufacturer pays to advertise the product, hoping to offset the cost of advertisement with increased sales.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Stores like Good Guys, Circuit City and Sears have been showing discs with movie trailers, music videos and some commercials instore on their TVs for a long time (this basically brought an end to the usual showing of broadcast TV in the stores with most sets on the same channel)- they used to get a 30 to 60 minute laserdisc every month, and they switched to DVD once that format got underway. I've always wished they'd put out a consumer version of these, I don't know how much it cost them to make the LDs but DVDs certainly don't cost much (I got a few of the LDs from stores who said they were just going to throw them out! The picture quality on these is excellent, but most only have analog soundtracks.)

Andy_MT

Second Unit

so you're suggesting that not only should the studios charge us for their advertising, but if enough people were interested, they could actually make a profit. that's fantastic. if they could pull that off, i'd have a whole new found respect for them.
i can see how it would be an appealing idea, but seriously, we pay ? NO! a free mailshot, YES. a free DVD on a magazine, YES. give them away at cinemas, YES. download DVD quality previews from the internet, YES. but pay ? we might just as well put on our I'M GULLIBLE t-shirts and parade up and down in front them. sorry, but they're going to have to earn my money :)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Well, I would pay a small price for a QUALITY disc of theatrical trailers (not TV ads or "Coming to Home Video" spots), in 16x9 and 5.1 sound as they are shown in theaters. BTW you'd be amazed at how many 35mm trailers studios send out- they often send a LOT of copies of the same trailer to each theater, many of them don't even get used!
I wouldn't pay for straight advertising, but would watch a disc of commercials (not trailers) if it were sent to me free.

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
OK, if we're dreaming--

a double sided disc. One side new movies, the other the new DVD releases. None of that "coming on home video" crap; the original theatrical trailers.

Sure, I'd pay $4-5 for it. Or buy 2 DVDs to get it free.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I would be willing to pay-if the trailers were done right. Full 5.1 audio, 16x9 enhancement are musts. I liked the Total Movie approach, but never watched the trailers because they were such low quality.

As for paying for advertising, you already do. You buy a ticket at the theater and get subjected to more and more commercials every time.

Bruce

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I think this would be best done as a home theater or DVD magazine that came prepackaged with a free DVD every month. I'd be first in line to order something like that.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I wouldn't pay them a plug nickel. I pay for their advertising costs with every ticket and DVD I buy. They don't need any more money from me for the "privilege" of allowing their products to be showcased in my home.

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
Here in the UK, Odeon cinemas already regularly give away free CD-ROMs with trailers of current & upcoming theatrical releases. As costs of DVD production come down I'd expect them to switch to DVD format.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'd be particularly interested if it offerred a good mix of coming soon trailers for theatrical as well as home video. What I wouldn't have done last year to watch the Spider-man trailers, or the Harry Potter trailers on my system before either film came out. :).

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Since you asked.
Q - Would I be willing to PAY for a preview disc? The same previews I skip through at the beginning of a DVD?
A - Are you kidding? Hell no! :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread