Who wants Whose Line is it Anyway on DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Kevin Porter, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

I've been watching the reruns on ABC Family and I'm reminded of the glory days of the show when it was actually on TV on ABC. Why in the world would ABC cancel one of the cheapest shows in the world to make? It's shot on video, there are no scripts and I'm sure they make revenue on the studio audience tickets.

I don't know how they would handle the DVD release of the show seeing as how each season averaged around 30-40 episodes. If you check the episode guide at epguides.com , apparently ABC has aired them wildly out of order. Perhaps they could go the Volume 1, Volume 2 route. I would buy these in a heartbeat. The show exemplified some of the most genuinely hilarious moments of television history in my opinion.

There's around 160 episodes that have aired total so perhaps we could get 5 volumes each containing 4-discs. I would think that these would be easy to get on DVD seeing as how they probably wouldn't have to worry about residuals and music clearances. And I would know with all my years of experience in the DVD industry [​IMG] . Maybe Disney could take out all the bleeps they had to put in because of the "family hour" in which it aired. I read an article somewhere that said there are about 20 some episodes that are in the can that haven't aired yet. Maybe Disney could release it as "Whose Line: The Lost Episodes".

Who's with me on this one?

2. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I would love a Whose Line is it Anyway? DVD release. The American version, the original British version, I'd gladly give any studeo that released it some of my money.
    Although if this is a Disney TV property I'm not exactly going to hold my breath. I'm still waiting for a Home Improvement release and Golden Girls that were rumored last year.

Som eone want to help me out with this. Is Whose line a disney property, and the Drew Carey show a Warner property? The reason I asked, is because in one of the hoedowns on Whose Line, Ryan mentions that Drew got a Porshe from Warner Bros, and I thought it had to do with a TV contract he signed.

Well, I'm off to everyone's favorite TV site to do some voting.

3. Scott D S

Scott D S Supporting Actor

Scott Saslow
    I will buy Whose Line sets in a heartbeat. I believe it's a WB property. As for the British version, I have no idea who distributes it (BBC?) but I'd pick that one up, too.

4. Niko Nykanen

Niko Nykanen Stunt Coordinator

Oh my God this is a brilliant idea! I´ve seen maybe 15 american episodes and I was trying real hard not to die of laughter every time.. So extremely funny!

Bring´em on please!

5. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

Kevin.. unless something happned recently, they have not cancelled the show. There were two new shows every friday night for almost the whole summer.
    I'm with you on the DVD. One of the funniest shows ever.[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Christopher_S

Christopher_S Stunt Coordinator

I agree, I've loved all versions of this show, and would pick up whatever they wanted to release.

Actually, I believe tickets for all TV shows with studio audiences are distributed for free. When we visited LA a couple years ago, I lined up tickets for 3rd Rock from the Sun, Friends, and the Daily Show... none of them cost anything. Although a ticket also doesn't guarantee you admission.

OK, digression over, back to praising Whose Line!

7. Greg_C_T

Greg_C_T Second Unit

I'd be all over this--I love Whose Line. It's a show that can consistently get laughs out of me.

Ooooh, can you imagine--chapter stops for each of the skits so if you don't like "Greatest Hits" or "Props", you could skip them. Even their outtakes are funnier than most sitcoms today.

Bring 'em on!

8. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

9. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

My understanding is that each session of WLiiA? is actually a few hours long, and then they cut it down to a subset of the (hopefully funnier) skits to fit in the airtime. I would have to imagine that if they took some of the cut skits and put them together as extras that they could be quite entertaining.

Putting chapter stops on each of the skits is a great idea; some of the skits I find pretty un-funny on a regular basis, and it'd be nice to be able to skip by them easily.

If such sets were reasonably priced I'd probably pick up a few.

10. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Second Unit

This might be the lamest show to hit the American airwaves since "Small Wonder."

11. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I liked the British version, not su much the US version. Don't think I'd get the DVD though....

12. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    What is so amazing is that, as sidesplittingly funny as these skits are, the humor all derives from the lightning-fast minds of a small troupe of improvisationalists. They are talented in the same Robin Williams is: they can pull unrehearsed rabbits out of almost any hat. Extraordinary talent.

13. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

My wife would kill to get either version of this show on DVD!

14. norman j

norman j Agent

The shows are all great, but I find the early british ones are not as funny- before Ryan Stiles and Colin Mocherie joined.

15. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'd love DVD sets of both the British and American versions.

16. AdeleW

AdeleW Auditioning

As a longtime fan of the show I would gladly buy DVDs ( but I will admit I like the British version a little better ). According to a site I've read it is in "hiatus". Many of the new shows were taped over a year or so ago ( apparently they get a lot of shows from the weekend tapings they do ). I hope they continue with them myself.

17. Peter Canavese

Very little in the TV on DVD area would make me happier at this point than "season sets" of Whose Line in production order (Twin Peaks Season 2 is #1). No "Best Of"--season sets. I know this won't be for everyone (personally, I'm an improv. aficionado and teach it to high schoolers), but it should be reasonably cheap to produce and they could probably have Columbia-TriStar #s of episodes packed onto the discs without sacrificing much. Extras like those suggested (bonus footage) would be great--new featurettes and commentaries shouldn't really be necessary.

I, too, would applaud the full release of the British series, as well (not sure who would handle the distribution of those--anyone know?).

18. Stephen Ford

Stephen Ford Stunt Coordinator

The Uk show is a Talkback production and aired on channel 4 in the uk.

19. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott
    I'd love to buy any -- and all! -- episodes of the British WLiiA. I'm not as interested in the American version, although I'd still be willing to grab a best-of collection.

I wish Mike McShane would be willing to participate in the American WLiiA...