What's new

who wants to test my speaker for me? (1 Viewer)

Geno

Supporting Actor
OK, here is the deal. I have two 10" speakers in an enclosure but the box was not designed around the speakers paramaters, it just happened to be 128L in volume.

Well I have one more speaker laying around which is exactly like the first two i am using. I thought maybe I could ship the xtra speaker to a member well versed in diy subs. This "member" would do all the needed tests and whatnot on the speaker to help me design a great sub for the two I am already using, and possibly turn the xtra one to a car sub.

I would pay for shipping and t/m.
only serious inquiries only please

geno

John_MackieBass

Stunt Coordinator
i'd probably be cheaper to go and buy a sub that already has that done to it...like a dayton 10" or somthing. Shipping to and from this "memeber" would be like 20-25 bucks + packaging + their time to design a box. I dunno...just doesnt add up if you ask me

Geno

Supporting Actor
John, I have invested 0$ into this sub project.

I have a stereo 2x120watt power amp that will run the sub.
And I have 3 wonderful 10" sub drivers. So I dont need to buy another driver. AND my drivers are better than the Daytons.

I dont need to buy a sub, and I will design the box myself. I have tried to do tests for the speakers and I cannot get #'s to come out right. I just want someone to give me the correct t/s params for the drivers. thats all.

Geno

Supporting Actor
point and shoot home theater!!!
Definately not!
If it was, then I'd settle for the daytons :)

Its more of a budjet restricted HT :)

John_MackieBass

Stunt Coordinator
I totally understand....i'm listening to a small 10" cadence sub right now that came out of my car 5 years ago. :D I had that parameters for the driver though....but it was going in some kind of ported box one way or another :)

Ben Ven

Stunt Coordinator
Why don't you try Speaker Workshop by Audua. It's a freeware program. I have used it and have been very successful in measuring various drivers I had on hand.

Speaker Workshop

Geno

Supporting Actor
I do know that these 10" woofers are not car drivers. they were manufactured for a HT sub.

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
Have you plotted the response of what you have right now?

You can see the effect of a smaller box by filling the one you have with something dense, like bricks maybe. See the effects of a bigger box you can through in some poly fill. Obviously not the easiest way to do it but it will give you some idea of what direction you want to go. If you can spare the time and effort it will definitely keep the budget down.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
You need a software program that can measure the T/S parameters of the drivers you have. Parts Express uses a device to measure drivers so they can post the T/S specs. Why not see if you can ship your drivers to them so you can get them to measure them for you.

Then again, sealed subwoofer boxes are very easy to design. If you make the box too large, the bass will generally slope down gradually. If the box is too small, there may be a peak in the response.

Can you just tell us which company uses your driver, because then perhaps someone can suggest a box volume/port based off the commercial design.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Are you saying you have 3 of the drivers (probably made by TC-Sounds) that Legacy uses in the Descent?

Or are you just thinking that you can have someone copy the Descent design concept with some unknown drivers you have?

Geno

Supporting Actor
No I am saying I have 3 of the drivers Martin Logan uses in the Descent. I do not nescesarily want to recreate the Descent, because I have a stereo power amp that will run 2 of the drivers and I was hoping I could put the last in my car. If I could recreate the Descent It would be cool, but I know Ill have to invest in a new amp to run all three drivers.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Although I haven't seen/heard a Descent, the larger Legacy subs I have seen/heard were using drivers made by TC-Sounds. Perhaps they'll help by providing the T/S parameters. Or you might ask Legacy or whomever you got the drivers from.

If you have a digital camera post some pics of the drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks