Who wants to see Weird Science (the series) on DVD?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by MaraKM, Jun 28, 2004.

1. MaraKM

MaraKM Stunt Coordinator

My cable company has added WAM to my line-up, allowing me to see Weird Science, the series for the first time in years. This show never failed to crack me up when I watched it in the original run, and I'm still finding it wonderfully goofy.

So, first of all, who owns the rights to this show? Watching the end credits, it says it's copyrighted 1994 Universal City Studios, Inc., then there's a St. Clare Entertainment logo, then "in association with Universal Televsion, an MCA Company." So that makes it Universal's right?

Secondly, is there anyone else besides me who wants to see this put out in season sets?

2. John*P

John*P Second Unit

While I've never actually seen the show, I love the movie, and would like to see the Weird Science show released on season DVD sets. I have some friends who used to watch it on the USA Network, and they thought it was pretty good. I'd buy the first season set for sure, and depending on how I like it, maybe the subsequent seasons.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure Universal owns the rights to the show. Of course, I believe another company like Shout! Factory, Rhino or Image could release it as well.

3. MaraKM

MaraKM Stunt Coordinator

As a fan of the movie, I watched the first episode expecting it to be awful, but ended up really impressed at how well it was done. The casting was perfect -- aside from the way that the various actors resembled their movie counterparts, they all had great chemistry together. And the premise fit the half-hour format well.

I hope Universal licenses it to someone. I'm afraid it's too small-potatoes for them now that they're trying to get a chunk of the tv-on-dvd market.

4. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Terrific series which defied my expectations too. Much funnier than the movie. Season sets would be an essential purchase for me. Here in the UK, they only ever showed the first two seasons, at a ridiculous time of night. [​IMG]

5. john mcfadden

john mcfadden Stunt Coordinator

i'd pick it up [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Joseph G.

Joseph G. Agent

I'd most likely buy it. I guess it would depend on the price. I like it, but not enough to spend over $35 for.

7. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Count me in on this one as well, I really enjoyed this show on USA back in the day.

8. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

I watched an episode last week. Can't say I shared the love for it.

One odd thing, WAM introduced it by saying it was an "All New" episode, yet it was dated 1994. Did these not air back then?

9. MaraKM

MaraKM Stunt Coordinator

Maybe WAM was using 'new' to promote that it was their first broadcast of it? Seems like a lot of the cable channels promote things as being a 'premiere' broadcast when they really mean it's THEIR premiere broadcast. But there are a handful of episodes from the fifth & final 1997 season which are unaired according to tvtome, so maybe you caught one of those.

Aww. Don't rain on the love parade, now.[​IMG]

10. Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland Supporting Actor

Loved the movie......mmmmmmmmmmm...KELLY LEBROCK...[​IMG]

11. Daniel`D

Daniel`D Stunt Coordinator

I'd buy it if it were released in season sets.

12. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

I would pay whatever they asked for the whole series. One of the best shows ever produced for television.

13. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

If my past luck holds, expect the announcement in about 3 weeks...

that's when I'll have finished making a set from the WAM broadcasts [​IMG]

(it never fails... soon as I finish a set, it gets announced)

14. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

I'd buy it. This series was way better, smarter and funnier than the movie. A lot of the people who worked on it had come from "Parker Lewis Can't Lose."

Also, a lot of writers from Weird Science are now working on Dead Like Me. Tom Spezialy, the co-showrunner of Weird Science, was the first showrunner of Dead Like Me (though I think he's since been replaced) and he hired several WS writers to write scripts for DLM.

15. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

and it's sometimes amazing who turns up in the episodes.. just finished editing down "Funhouse of Death" and keep watching the "girl du'story" (well, with a skirt that short who wouldn't) and kept thinking.. "I know who this is..." finally the credits ... Denise Richards [​IMG]

16. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

Gosh, USA Network made some really fun shows, Pacific Blue, Wierd Science, Parker Louis Can't Loose, Flamingo High, that one Police Academy type show. Ofcourse I would buy the season sets, [​IMG] !

Ryan

17. John*P

John*P Second Unit

Eh? I thought Parker Lewis Can't Lose originally aired on the Fox network? Maybe you're talking about syndication? BTW, I'd love for Parker Lewis to be released on DVD.

18. BobbyPerry

BobbyPerry Stunt Coordinator

I would buy this for the sole purpose of checking out Vanessa Angel all the time.

19. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

(cue familar music by Yello)

"Ohhhhhhh Yeaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh"

20. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

Count me in. I watched the episodes many times on the USA Network. I hope that whoever owns the rights would release this show on DVD in season format.