What's new

Who wants to quit smoking with me? (2004 edition) (1 Viewer)

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
I know there was a thread on this previously posted about a year and a half ago, but thought I would start a fresh one for those of us ready beat this addiction. For my background, I am currently 34 years old, married to a non-smoker and have been smoking since I was 15. Not a heavy smoker, but a smoker none-the-less. A pack usually lasts me 2-3 days during the week and 1-2 days on weekends. I've tried quitting before, but never made it past a few months. I've come to the conclusion that the gum isn't for me, its just a substitute (especially because of the whole oral fixation). The patch maybe worth another try as well as Zyban. The 1 time I tried Zyban ( or at least a generic version of it), it almost worked, but I quit the medication prematurely and lost the fight shortly after that. I've heard the 2nd attempt on Zyban might not be as affective. So my thought is to go cold turkey and if I find myself ready to cave, to get some patches.

Im so sick of this habit and so ready to quit. Additionally, i've always been embarrassed of my smoking, going so far as to hide it from my wifes parents for over 8 years now and Im tired of hiding it, I just want to be free from this addiction and live a long healthy life with my wife. I was planning on starting after this coming weekend to try and "get it out of my system" by smoking my brains out, but that never works. I had 0 smokes Monday, finished my last pack yesterday (3 smokes) and so far none today, so now's as good as time as any. Enough rambling, who's with me???? Sometimes a little support goes a lot farther than those nicotine substitutes do, so the more the merrier. :emoji_thumbsup:

I also figured I spend approximately $14/week smoking or $56/month. I will be keeping a running total and use the reward system to keep me motivated as well. Hmm, that could be an entry level SVS in less than a year. Maybe some DVD's if I cant wait that long.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Some advice I've learned from prior attempts.
Things to do when you get a nic-fit.
1)Drink ice water
2)Eat fruits (Im not sure if this is true or not, but I was told by a doctor once that cigarettes contain a certain ammount of sugars or glucose or something and that by eating fruit, you are substituting part of what your body is craving)
3)Keep active (like Im trying to do by creating this list)
4)Absolutely, and I mean ABSOLUTELY NO ALCHOHOL for at least the 1st week or two.
5)No coffee if you associate the two together.
6)No nic-fit lasts forever.
Any others??

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
I only wish my father could take your advice. He's 49 going on 50, and has been smoking since he was 13. He's not a heavy smoker. Maybe a pack every 2 or 3 days. That's not the point. A couple years back we made him promise to quit for the New Year, but that only lasted a couple of weeks. It bothers me, because I'm worried about his health. I just hope he'll quit.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Phillip,

I have never smoked so I can't "join" you, but I would like to wish you a "good luck" and I hope you can reach your goal. I don't envy you in the least, but I do admire your resolve.

Keep us posted!

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I'm in Philip.

Today is day 8 of my latest stop-smoking effort. Previous one was 9 months ago, and I lasted 6 weeks on that one. :)

I have quit before, sometimes for months or even years. The craving seems to never go away.

Right now I'm chewing on a piece of Nicorette gum, the 2mg variety.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

I was a very heavy smoker (2–3 packs of Camels a day) and I quit, cold turkey almost 30 years ago.

As I recall, it took five years or so to not have the odd craving. But the initial ‘really bad part’ is over in a few weeks. For me, it was always after this initial period, where I thought that I could have ‘just one’ that did me in.

When I finally quit for good, I really knew that I was a real nicotine junkie. I still won’t touch an after dinner cigar, because I know I’d be buying cigarettes by the carton the next day.

Good luck to everyone who signs on and gives up the habit.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Right on Julian! 8 days seams like an eternity for me right now, but one I look forward to. Kinda sucks what you and Lew say about the cravings for years, but it eventually has to get better and I think the 1st 3 weeks will be my most difficult.
That celebratory "hey, I made it 2 weeks, just one wont hurt" has thwarted my efforts more than once. Thanks for all the encouragement so far. Usually, I don't go seeking for it, but this is different and very important to me. Well, its off to lunch and the 1st true test of the day, (the after lunch/dinner smoke). It wont be bad for lunch, but tonight after dinner will be harder. Just gotta keep strong.:emoji_thumbsup:

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

It definitely gets better—much better. You are right that the first few weeks are the hardest. When you get past that, the physiological part is conquered.

But that craving just shows up at the most unexpected times later on. Give in and you’re done (or at least I was).

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

Here is how I quit—and I don’t recommend it for anyone:

I decided late on a Friday night that I was going to quit. Did not bother to have ‘one last smoke’, but just went to bed. Got up and although I normally had a cigarette at the same time I brushed my teeth, I resisted. Made it to lunch and decided to while away the time watching the Tigers on TV. By now, I’m really fidgety and I decided to put the alcohol/nicotine combination to the test.

I made myself a martini (very dry and always stirred, not shaken).

This worked pretty well as a nicotine substitute—so much so that when I again got the urge, I made myself a pitcher and had a martini every time I wanted a cigarette. Eventually my wife was making the martinis.

I repeated this on Sunday (martinis instead of cigarettes) and have never smoked again.

YMMV! :D ;)

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
have you tried kicking yourself in the crotch every time you want a smoke?:)

but seriously, i don't smoke so i can't offer any advice, just wishing you good luck, you can make it. i do like Lew's idea, though...

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt

1) accountability - find someone you know you won't lie to about cheating and having "just one" and talk to them daily. Keep them in your cell so you can call when it gets rough.

2) breathing in/out...sounds so simple, but it was the most effective trick for me after the intial 2 weeks, and it works great for those random cravings like when you walk past the smoking deck at work or see your favorite brand on a table in a bar. Just basically savoring inhaling and exhaling fresh air deeply, then thinking about what it was like to have to breathe smoke.

3) the jar of doom :) . This one came from a program I tried...basically it involves setting a quit date ahead of time (which is a super good idea, usually they recommend about 5 days), and then smoking as much as you want the 4 days before....but, you put all your butts into a jar, and then fill it with water. You then keep it around the house, and once a day smell it and stick your fingers in it...it sounds lame, but it worked really well for me.

4) Planning is key. Not getting yourself into familiar smoking situtations the first months after quitting is big; for me it was long car trips and drinking. I refrained from both, and when I went back to them it wasn't as bad.

5) Cheating isn't the end of the world. After being quit for about 4 months, I had a weekend fling with Camel Turkish Golds on a business trip...to be honest, it was probably the best thing for getting me to stay quit...once you've been quit for a few months, cigs taste like their smoke smells, instead of how you remember them. Remembering that every time I crave helps a lot. Just chuck the pack and the matches quick and remember why you quit in the first place.

Its been about a year and two months now since my last "cheat" (around a year and 5 since i first went on the patch). I still get cravings every once in a while, but I cope quickly and don't dwell on them like I used to.

Do talk to a doctor about the patch, it made a world of difference to seperate the two addictions (physical and psychological) and fight them at two different times. There was definitely some aftershocks when I completely dropped off the lowest dose patch, but by that time I was over the act of lighting stuff and shoving it in my face.

Its a great big step Phillip, but you CAN do it, you just have to see six months and more into the future when you're smoke free.

Now don't get me wrong, I loved to smoke (8 years, over a pack a day) and it seriously helped me concentrate, but I am glad I quit every time I run into someone I know that still smokes. But I would avoid taking a lot of advice or being accountable to someone who hasn't smoked and quit, because they have no idea what it is like. That was one of the points the program I was in stresses most.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
good luck, philip! i recently quit smoking myself. i've lost track of it, but i think i'm about 2.5 to 3 months out. i just went cold turkey. the first few weeks were a bit edgy. the only down side is that i've started to gain weight. of course, i'm on a diet now. i wouldn't think that quitting would be difficult as you don't smoke nearly as much i did. i was at a minimum smoking a pack a day. i figured the $1200+ a year i could save by not smoking would buy me some nice audio related goodies. just remember, it's all mind over matter. if you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

kevin t

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Lew, thats pretty amazing. If I had a martini every time I had the urge to light up, it would be tragic. Martinis make me crave smoking more than any other type of alchohol so it would be a downward spiral for me. But I admire your method and resolve. You sir, are a stud!:emoji_thumbsup:
Thanks for the laugh Mike, I needed that after lunch. Sometime a self inflected crotch kick can actually be more desirable than some nic-fits.

Matt, all solid points of advice and I agree about being accountable to a actual ex-smoker. Nothing against non-smokers advice, I appreciate their input as well. But sharing battle stories with someone whos been there is more, I don't know, real maybe. And congrats to you too for quiting. You too Kevin. Glad to see Im not alone.

I always think the same thing, but Ive had frineds who smoked 1-2 packs a day quit easier and with much more success than I have. I think it must come down to resolve and will power.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
The worst times for me (in previous attempts) were when I would go to bars. This was in pre-PC times, when every other person in the bar was puffing away like a chimney.

To this day, whenever I pick up a cold beer, I automatically reach for a cigarette.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I quit gradually over the course of about two months, reducing my daily smoking total by one cigarette every two days.

It was pretty easy at first, just cutting out certain ritual type cigarettes from my daily routine. I had 2 cigarettes in the car on the way to work instead of 3 for example, and did the same for the ride home. I had 1 instead of 2 on my fifteen minute coffee breaks, and 1 instead of 2 at lunch. I dumped the first thing in the morning smoke, the after dinner smoke etc, etc.

I made sure to find myself a long flight of stairs to climb every day, or walked a block near me which is on a steep hill and would get me huffing and puffing for air. This gave me a daily reminder of why I had decided to quit in earnest this time.

This was recommended to me by my doctor who promised me that if I did this, I wouldn't be able to forget what crappy condition my lungs were in. He was right, and no matter what tact you take to quit, I strongly recommend doing something like this.

So far, it has only been 4 months of smoke-free living, but I feel better phsyically. I stopped snoring, which makes my wife very happy. My smokers hack is practically gone already and I can take that hill in the neighborhood with relative ease now.

Philip, you can do this man...Hang in there!

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Julian,

just for that reason, I plan on staying out of the bars for at least a month. Hows day 9 treating you?
Carl, Congrats on your 4 month mark! My wife would also love it if I stopped snoring.
Well, made it through last night. Only a couple of challenging moments brought on by a misbehaving dog. :angry: I was however reminded last night of a side effect I have when trying to quit,,,,not being able to sleep. Only got 3 hours sleep last night, but that should pass in the next couple of days. I have a feeling that if I can make it through this weekend, I have a fairly good chance of keeping it up.

Kevin_Spradley

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad there are others going through the quitting issues as well. Today is day 8 for me. As one poster already stated, when a craving hits, find something other than a cigarette to take its place (like a glass of water, healthy snack, brisk walk, read HTF-AHL, etc). On day 2, I ended up going to a bar, and it was tough, the first beer without a cigarette was the toughest. On Tuesday night, I drank a lot of beers without smoking, but I had two close friends that keep hounding me not to smoke. I am trying this cold turkey, needless to say, my food intake (which was already significant) has increased twofold. But anyway, good luck to everybody and keep posting. This thread may just be the extra motivation we need.

My awareness for the odor of cigarettes has increased drastically. I sat in a smoker's car and it was a rough smell.

good luck to others and me
kev

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I'm doing well on day whatever this is; only 2 pieces of Nicorette so far today. Every time I ride past a convenience store I mentally picture buying a pack. :)

The thought of how satisfying a smoke would be is much better than the actual cigarette ever was. If that makes any sense; nicotine craving overtaking my brain.

Exercise, eat right, don't smoke or drink, die anyway. :)

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I think the darn Internet just ate my last post, if this is a double, I apologize.

How's everybody doing? Although I haven't cheated yet, I have a strong desire to stop for a pack of smokes on the way home from work, as I have decided that life isn't worth living anyway. (I'm depressed.)

Somebody stop me!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks