Who wants to buy 6" flared ports???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TedO, Mar 21, 2002.

1. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

I work for a large company buying and building plastic injection molds. Recently I have been working with a shop that makes REALLY cheap tooling for very short production runs. I estimate a mold to make flared ports would run about 2k-3k depending on how fancy the design of the port was. Running 200 or more of these ports would be no problem. Lets say they were designed to slide over and be glued to a thin walled PVC pipe and have as large of a flare as practical.

The question is how many people would actually buy a set of these ports if they were $25-$35 a set?

What do you think?

TedO

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Well that would be a good price. The list price for the AeroPorts was $49.95

One thing to consider is that there are many different sizes of 6" plastic pipe. So it would be necessary to use one of the more readily available standard sizes. The AeroPorts only fit a pipe that had a 6.25"OD and that was frequently hard for people to find.

In addition the AeroPorts had almost no mounting flange so attaching them to the baffle was tricky and sometimes downright difficult. They had a very nice flare though. The final OD was 9.5"

I'd suggest checking with Dan Wiggins. Adire is coming out with several larger diameter drivers that IMO would benefit from having 6" flares. Perhaps they would be interested is stocking these for resale

3. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Yes, check with Dan Wiggins and also Stryke. I also may need some smaller flared ports. I can't find any really nice flared 2" ports, for instance. One port company offered to quote me on a LARGE quantity of ports, but I can't do their minimum order. I would think that with the growth in D-I-Y speakers in general, not just subwoofers, there is a need for nice flared ports from 2" up to 6" in 1/2" increments.

4. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

The thought was to have this flare match up with a standard wastewater PVC pipe. I think something like that would be available nationally. Second it would have a series of ribs between the mounting flange and the body, so you would mount it into a straight hole and finally it would have 4 countersunk screw holes for mounting.

What it boils down to is could I sell enough volume, around 200 sets, to make it practical. Sounds like the only way this would happen is to supply the driver manufacturers on the wholesale level and let them offer them to the public. If that's the case, my cost numbers are off and I think the volume would have to go up.

I will finish the design and send it off to the driver manufactures and see if they would be interested in reselling these ports.

Any other design input would be appreciated

TedO

5. Rudy H

Rudy H Stunt Coordinator

I might be interested in a set or two in the future. Definetely a cool idea though [​IMG]

6. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Does this help?
    AeroPort 6" flares
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Remember that Lightning Audio/Rockford-Fosgate already has the tooling. So it might be easier to try and cut some kind of a deal with them for a limited production run.

7. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

You know that would make sense. They could offer a cheaper cost per unit because the tooling is already paid for.

Just need the driver manufacturers to push them into production.

TedO

8. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

Just to let you guys know, I'm still trying to aquire a few of the flanges. The car audio shop I deal with talked to his sales rep. from lightning audio and he will see if he can find a few left for those that need them now as I told him of the situation we have. keep you posted.

9. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Out of curiosity, I just spoke to Dave at Newfoam and he assured me that the 6" flares were in-stock at his supplier and that he could order them. Would take a while, as they would have to be sent to him first then sent off to the purchaser. This seem right? Have you guys tried here?
    I also e-mailed DanW, but the cost and minimum order would be too much for Adire to be interested in carrying them. Can't blame him, it's gotta be a really low-volume item.

10. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Yes it appears that there are few available, contrary to what some of the retailers have been saying.
    I spoke with Jason at Lightning Audio. He says the part number has been changed and that's probably causing the dealers to think the flares have been discontinued.
    The new part number is PNR6BK-PT. According to Jason any of the LightningAudio dealers can special order the flares. Currently he says that they have atleast 15pr available
    Jack
    I just called NewFoam and ordered 2pr. Thanks for the heads up [​IMG]

11. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

12. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

I took the easy way out and ordered a pair also and picked up my Sonotube today.

TedO

13. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer