Who wants Peter Sellers Pink Panther SE with outtakes?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob-Gr, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Rob-Gr

Rob-Gr Agent

Does anybody here like the old Pink Panther movies with Peter Sellers? Sellers is one of my favorite actors and I think he was at his peak with the Panther movies. I have the MGM/UA dvds of all the movies except for Revenge of the Pink Panther, which kinda sucked. These dvds are bare bones, but the 8 page booklet tells about shooting one scene all day and still being unable to get what they wanted because Sellers was so funny, and he and Dreyfus kept cracking up. I know there are at least 2 examples of scenes like this that are talked about, but there are no outtakes. How can you mention all these greatt flubs, screw-ups, outtakes or whatever you want to call them without showing them? Does anyone else feel that they should put out all the Pink Panther movies with extended and deleted scenes and outtakes? There has got to be some material floating around somewhere. We all know Blake Edwards tried to make 2 or 3 Panther movies using old clips of Sellers, so where are the rest of the clips? The picture quality on the current dvds is pretty good, and they are in widescreen. I couldnt believe how much better they looked than the old videotapes/pan and scan that I watched when I was a kid. Any info on rereleases?
    Thanks
    Rob

2. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

After Peter Sellers died, Blake Edwards and distributor United Artists released a "new" film "Trail Of The Pink Panther" in 1982 using outtakes from several of the previous movies. They concocted a whole film around them. David Niven was in the film as well but he lost his voice to cancer so Rich Little dubbed it. All in all it was, unfortunately, pretty bad and obviously just an attempt to cash in I'm afraid.

3. Tim Ke

Tim Ke Stunt Coordinator

is the current edition anamorphic? i should think if it is then MGM probably won't be thinking of reissuing this for quite a while yet... a shame, as I too would like a better edition (i haven't seen the movie in years! and when i did it was in P&S).

4. Mike Heenan

Mike Heenan Second Unit

When Edwards was on Larry King not too long ago, he mentioned something about the outtakes being hilarious and offered to screen them for King if he was in the area or something like that. So the director has some of them, the studio probably has alot of them too.

5. Peter Kline

There is purportedly a sequence with Julie Andrews (Edward's wife) playing a maid in one of the films (can't remember which one at the moment) which was not used. They used another actress for the part instead. I would suspect that Edwards has all the material and not UA, as they were only distributors of the movie and not the producers. In any event, P.S. was one of my favorite actors. Even saw all his early British films before American audiences discovered him.

6. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

REVENGE OF THE PINK PANTHER is one of the worst transfers I've seen on DVD from a major studio.
    I'd love to see outtakes in Special Edition packages (as there are even more than the ones from TRAIL), but I doubt MGM will ever get to them. (I'd like to see a double-feature in scope of TRAIL/CURSE just so the series could be finished on DVD).
    That is assuming their remake with Chris Tucker [​IMG] never gets made (and by god let's hope it doesn't!! [​IMG]

7. Peter Kline

There's been a few announcements of remakes over the past few years for a Panther film. I don't think any actor in his right mind would attempt one. On the other hand, $$$ talks today more then ever.

8. Ed Vandeweerd

Ed Vandeweerd Stunt Coordinator

I am disappointed that MGM hasn't treated it's 2nd most popular franchise with the same care and consideration given Bond. All of the Pink Panther Films are in my view worthy of Special Edition Treatment complete with Anamorphic Widescreen transfers (restored) outtakes making of featurettes & Director Commentary etc. Also they very stupidly sold the rights to Artisan for "Return of the Pink Panther" Sound mix was awful very loud backround hum throughout. Suprising for Artisan as they gave become known for good transfers sound & features on their later efforts thats my 2 cents

9. Peter Kline

Artisan wasn't sold rights, they licensed them. Hopefully, someday there will be a complete release of the Panther films including the Alan Arkin and the other ones without Sellers. We could all use a good laugh these days!

10. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I hope after Bond-redux is all over with that MGM reissues all of the 'Panther films in SE form (or at least with semi-decent transfers). PP and its sequels are up there when it comes to my favorite movies [​IMG]

11. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Does your dog bite??
    [​IMG]

12. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

That's not my dog...
    [​IMG]
    Count me in... if SE's were produced, I'd rebuy these in a second! [​IMG]

13. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

"Do you have a lie-sance for you min-key" [​IMG]

14. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Count me in as one who thinks every Sellers/Panther movie should be re-issued as a special edition DVD.

15. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

Also count me in for s Pink Panther SE.

16. Peter Kline

"And she killed him in a fit of relous jage"

17. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I'd buy SE's of the Return, Revenge & Strikes Again.

18. Jonathan Kaye

Jonathan Kaye Second Unit

19. Peter Kline

Jonathan, you're right. I have a burrump on my head.

20. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Count me in for SE as well
    [​IMG]