What's new

Who wants one of these 18"ers??? (1 Viewer)

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
Seth, that seems like a cheap shot. Everyone already knows how you feel about this subject. I, for one, appreciate the fact that guys like Dan share their expertise in these forums.

Pete

JimRHIT

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everyone ... here's an update from me and dB

"Interesting driver!"
Thanks Dan.

"I see we have to up things again... "
Only if your really want to :p

"Anyway, feel free to use the full name Tumult - we're not like Bose and
sue-happy...."
And a hearty congrats to you with the Tumult. From everything I've seen on
it it truly is a stupendous driver. I didn't even know of it's existence
when I started this project some 2 years ago, I was simply trying to tie up
some loose ends and unfinished business. Wanted to make theBeast available
to DIY with a better driver than the Aura (Too large an enclosure, too much
compliance variation unit to unit, and questionable availability) No reason
I should have been left with all the fun there :)

"One quick question I had, on the moving mass. ~~ Any hints on how you got
the moving mass so low?"

Absolutely, and thanks for catching my error. I built this Proto over a
year ago and have done so many drivers since, my memory was fuzzy. Went
back to my notes, here's the deal. In the beginning it was determined Cu
would be far too heavy (as you note), and I decided to live with the ~~
15-20% loss in BL by going with Al. The prototype coil is:

3.4" long, 8 layer flat wound, 4" diameter Al coil wrapped around a Ti
former. (there are 4 dual layer flat coils) The Ti was a bit of work, had
about 90% failure rate initially for various reasons. Such is the price of
progress.

"Thanks,

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio "

More than welcome Dan, and thank you for catching my error. Congrats again
on the Tumult!!

dB"

dB is havin trouble with his comp...so i am the poster for now :)

any more Q's feel free to send em my way

later
jim

JimRHIT

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Seth,

Don't mean to be stupid or rude ... but I don't want to have another Tumult pi**ing match here.

This thread is here to offer everyone a new driver and answer any technical questions that some may have.

On that note...
im off to lab :frowning:

later dudes,
jim

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Pro Sound apps? A single 18" cab with this driver would OWN most dual 18's (!) and I think I know of a way to work in a couple drone cones.

JimRHIT

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yes ... ownership is this bad boy's middle name.

Passive are the way dB and I are going...in fact...you may soon see one of this in a nice quad 18" box ... with enough Vd (25L+) to prolly break some walls.

check out http://jdb3.com/ra/

for the photos :)

later

jim

chris_hunigan

Stunt Coordinator
What are the box size requirements for the Beast? Sealed and ported? Looks more suitable for vented/PR boxes...

Cree

Dave Crigna

Stunt Coordinator
OHH NOOO!!!! I see the wheels in Tony's mind working again.:D

Jim, just curious if you know how close this 18" driver is to the one T.C. is making for eclipse car audio? Will it be field servicable like there's? If you blow it, you just unscrew the basket from the magnet structure and ship it, since the basket structure weighs so much less than the magnent. Saw it at CES, and it looks just like yours. I think it is part of the eclipse sw9100 titanium line. It was a beast. I have a few pics if you want to see.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Dave, lets see those pics! Shoot me them in an e-mail if you don't want to post them here.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Dave...nope...have all the money invested in the tumult. if I didn't, then I'd be all over this. I would ABSOLUTELY use this with an LT and the K2 bridged. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Could this driver be used with the 2500 gram passive radiators available from stryke? Would there be a difference in sound between the ones you will be making and the strykes?

JimRHIT

Stunt Coordinator
Hey dudes,

Been out of town a lil bit ... I will try to catch up here :)

Final T/S are not in and still in the air...I believe I have the posted goals.

Yeah modeling it is fun...believe me I have 100s of graphs seeing what the different variants are gonna do. But let's face it ... it's and 18 with 30+mm klippeled xmax with more motor behind it than damn near anything.

Once it is in the box, playing and delivering what i want to hear...i am not gonna remember that graph, only that it "looked" like it would sound good. And rest assured this will. We WILL deliver a very very high quality driver to anyone interested. I will let everyone know as soon as we have all the FINAL specs so you can have fun with em.

Ill keep ya'll updated.

Ummm...size requirements..?? how loud, low do you want?.... and what size are you willing to do. Small box = more power (and this WILL handle it). The passive box (quad 18) I am doing is lookin around 26" cube

Take it easy,
jim :)

Seth_L

Screenwriter
The current T/S parameters are great if you want a small ported box in your car. In a sealed box the QTC drops really low by the time you get a decent size box with some extension.

Can you perhaps list the target T/S parameters?

Also, how about 2 2 ohm coils instead of 2 4 ohm coils. Pro amps make the most power into 4 ohms bridged, and I'm sure car audio people we be all about 1 ohm loads.

Seth

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Could this driver be used with the 2500 gram passive radiators available from stryke?
No reason it couldn't, seems the listed Vd is about the same. You're likely looking at at least two (and with a pair, only run the driver to about half Xmax.)

Joel X

Stunt Coordinator
What exciting times these are for the Basshead! What size amp would be appropriate for either a sealed or ported design?

chris_hunigan

Stunt Coordinator
Seth_L,
I agree! This would make a great car sub. Hopefully, the T/S Param's will be close to the proto T/S param's...

Also I believe the driver should be dual 2 ohm VC's. Many people either configure in 1 or 4 ohm loads, rather than 2 or 8 ohm loads.

This driver has to be at least over 3000 WRMS or 1500 WRMS / coil.

Cree

JimRHIT

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,
The coils for now are quad 2 ohm. We shall see on the final variant.

Yeah, this is desgned for home use, but I am pretty sure that 21.5 x 21.5 x 16" external cube ='s 3.18 gross internal cubes with double'd front and back walls. Doubled side walls, would make that - 2.72 cu ft.
20"x20"x14.5" INTERNAL (JUST enough to fit the driver) gross's 3.35 cu ft....that would work quite nicely as it sits now. I will let you all know how that one turns out. Keep in mind this is really a home driver, but like the Tempest, car apps could be made functional(and amazing).

1.5kW RMS is a small snack for the beast. You should just plug it right into the wall...that'll suit it fine :emoji_thumbsup:

Yes, the basket for now is the same as the Eclipse Audio, but that is still in the air. If that does not work, we will be going with another design. More details later.

Gotta run everyone,
jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks