What's new

Who wants one of these 18"ers??? (2 Viewers)

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Tony is right, however I'm still not convinced there is any clear evidence I'm going to see my Tumult in the next few months, so...

Seth

Dave Crigna

Stunt Coordinator
Are you doubting that all pre-order tulmults were to be finished by the end of the week 5/2 and that we should be checking our tracking #'s for activity? What are you thinking Seth?

I am really beginning to think this is becoming a ups conspiracy and someone at ups has hijacked our driver and now has an ib setup with 24 of our tumults hitting 130+ db at 16 hrtz.

Lesson learned, never use ups with pre-orders, only with group buys.:D

Ok then I woke up.;)

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator
the biggest reason there isn't more interest is probably that the people who would get this sub already have a tumult
I'll just chime in to second the emotion. I'm also surprised there's not more excitement, but realize I shouldn't be, considering the availability (?) of the Tumult.

FWIW, were this driver designed well and available today, I'd point anyone to it who wanted the ultimate no-holds-barred overkill megawatt-amped single-driver sub. If its price came in slightly below a Tumult, the marketing potential would be enormouse, IMHO.

I was just kidding in my last post where I pointed out the Le/mark of the beast connection. I consider parametric EQ a given in most any install, so an inductance hump isn't the end of the world.

Bill

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I was just kidding in my last post where I pointed out the Le/mark of the beast connection.
That's actually the main selling point in my view. .

Actually, performance that far exceeds our needs seems to be getting easier and more attainable, so something like this is not the watershed if might have been a year or two ago.

Noed*B

Grip
Hello All,

I have just received the All Clear from the driver vendor. So here are a few more details, and a link to brows.

The vendor is the incomparable OEM MFR of ultra high excursion high performance woofers, T.C. Sounds. The driver we are looking to release under a this Group Purchase with myself acting as the liaison can be seen in the following link.

http://jdb3.com/ra/

Goto "Photo's" then click on theBeast Mk-II and click on pix. For a sense of scale, I included one of the PR's and active sitting on a hand dolly.

This driver is a prototype we built last year, and yes the passive radiators will be available also. There will be a few small but important changes between the prototype pictured and the one we build for the Group Purchase. The most important being the motor will have copper under the gap, both inside and outside, the cone will be a honey-comb composite, and the surround is a new extremely high tech surround that allows far greater excursion than standard half roll surrounds of the same width.

This driver is THE highest volume displacement, lowest distortion driver I have ever measured, and will be made available to the group purchase at $499.00 plus shipping and handling. Passives at 199.00 plus s&h.

Make NO mistake, this is an incredible amount of driver for the money. Four 1" thick by 10" O.D. ceramic magnets, motor design through EXTENSIVE use of FEA modeling, INCLUDING the coil/gap/eddy currents as the coil moves through the gap. 9.6" O.D. double stacked and inverted FEA'd spiders with woven in high power leads on apposing sides of the spider, FEA'd surround, honeycomb composite cone, 8 layer (!!!) flat wound copper coil, and more.

This is the Aura killer I spoke of and began working on so long ago.

Let me know if you're interested, and we'll begin formalizing things..

dB

Noed*B

Grip
"Umm...cool."
We think so....

"What's the Vd on the passives?"
14.75" diameter @ 1/3 of edge roll, 3" linear P-P excursion (3.5 absolute max) so~~ 8.4L per passive.

"A pair enough?"
Depends on how you define 'enough'. A pair with ~~17 liters of helmholtz resonator would certainly move enough air to shake foundations. I'll be using ~~ 25L of resonator.

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator
Well, well, well!

I had a hunch it was a TC item with their new 4" components.

*Beefy!*

Can you give us more info on the motor itself, perhaps with some drawings? (anyone surprized I'm asking, what with my motor fetish?:D ) I'd like to know more about the farady treatment.

Also would be nice to see a BL curve and whatever other geeky techy goodies you're willing to share.

Congratulations Deon--it's (obviously) a boy!

PS.
I was just kidding in my last post where I pointed out the Le/mark of the beast connection.
Ooohhhh, now I get it--that Le was intentional--this is called *The Beast* afterall. How many hours of R&D did you spend refining the Le to zero in on that exact number, Leon? You could have set your sense of humor aside and rolled this thing out months ago! :D

Hailan R

Agent
so from the pics this is a dvc woofers, so what would be the znom of each coil(im hopping dual 2 ohm :)) hehe.

Also any eta on this beast(starts to save up :) , i want 1 for sure especially if the thing with jim works out, a pair would be killer tho :)))

Noed*B

Grip
Bill,

"*Beefy!*"

You could certainly say :)

"Can you give us more info on the motor itself, perhaps with some drawings? (anyone surprised I'm asking, what with my motor fetish? ) I'd like to know more about the farady treatment."

No drawings. It's a bit unique, though privately I can discuss it with you provided you keep quiet :). Four 1" thick x 10" O.D. ceramic magnets, 4" multilayer coil, production will have 3.5 rather than my prototypes 3.4" winding heights specifics of which I cannot discuss, and.... thats's the basics.

"Also would be nice to see a BL curve and whatever other geeky techy goodies you're willing to share."
Can't share just yet :)

"Congratulations --it's (obviously) a boy!"

Why thanks. It's a bit of a Beast tho....

"PS. quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ooohhhh, now I get it--that Le was intentional--this is called *The Beast* after-all. How many hours of R&D did you spend refining the Le to zero in on that exact number, Leon? You could have set your sense of humor aside and rolled this thing out months ago!"

Took quite some time --- hehhh....

Hailan,

"so from the pics this is a dvc woofers,"

Actually this prototype is an 8 layer flat wound 3.4" copper coil wrapped around a Ti former with 4 taps. Each two layer coil is 2 ohms. Production will likely be dual 2 4 layer ohm coils.

" so what would be the znom of each coil(im hopping dual 2 ohm ) hehe."

1.9 ohm DCR ea coil...

"Also any eta on this beast(starts to save up , i want 1 for sure especially if the thing with jim works out, a pair would be killer tho.. ))"

Depends on the level of interest. Once paid, Thilo will build, then ship to Jim and myself where we will forward upon receipt.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
A bit OT:

Modeling this in Unibox...can someone tell me what values to plug in under "External components" to simulate a 60Hz second-order low-pass filter?

A

Anthony_Gomez

I don't think it will help you too much since the impedence isn't flat. you can use textbook values and get some rediculous results with the impedence swings. Active filters are independent of the speaker impendence.

...then again...it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong ;)

JimRHIT

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone check out the link noed*B posted ???

how about that for a formal introduction :):)

Please spread the word to your friends about this ... also suitable for some dare I say ... car-audio apps

The Beast...is back !

email me for pre-order info
[email protected]

jim

Mark gas

Second Unit
Anyone check out the link noed*B posted ???

how about that for a formal introduction

Please spread the word to your friends about this ... also suitable for some dare I say ... car-audio apps

The Beast...is back !

email me for pre-order info
[email protected]

jim
What about under 3 cubes sealed for car use with 800 watts? Could I be dreaming?

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Deon/Jim,

Interesting driver! I see we have to up things again...;) Anyway, feel free to use the full name Tumult - we're not like Bose and sue-happy....:D

One quick question I had, on the moving mass. The Mms is listed as 494 grams. For an 8 layer, 4" diameter, 3.5" long copper voice coil, I don't see how it can weigh less than 1000 grams for the copper alone. I know the old Blueprint 03 series voice coils weighed in at 200 grams (3" diameter, 2.5" long 4 layer), and our Tumult voice coil weighs in at 150 grams (3" diameter, 1.5" long, 4 layer). Going with a voice coil that is more than twice as long, and has twice the number of layers, and is 33% larger in diameter should push the voice coil mass well into the 1000-1200 gram range. I can't quite see how it can be down at the 494 gram Mms level (implying a voice coil weight around 300 grams). Any hints on how you got the moving mass so low?

Thanks,

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Ben_E

Stunt Coordinator
God, I love competition. Hey Dan I don't suppose the Tumult will be lowering to something around $300 anytime soon will it once this thing is released? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks