What's new

Who wants one of these 18"ers??? (1 Viewer)

Noed*B

Grip
"If it isnt too expensive, Id be happy to check it out in the near future."

"As to Price, think T*m*lt. "

Dave Crigna

Stunt Coordinator
Pre-Order? Did I hear the words PRE-ORDER? Group buy is much better sounding. Any chance I can get one before my tumult shows? At its current rate of progress it should be here by the end of the year:D

JimRHIT

Stunt Coordinator
So....once these numbers are all fixed nice and pretty for ya'll...who's interested??

Can we get a head count of sorts...

not a commitment at all...just lettin' us know some numbers....

thanks guys

jim

A

Anthony_Gomez

hmmm...maybe I should get in on this group buy :) that way I will have a driver to use till my tumult ships! :D

would like one...but not in my budget anymore..spent too mch already! :frowning:

Dave Crigna

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Tony, maybe we can go halves on a driver til we both get our tumults. I can use it during the week and you get it on the weekend. :D Or the other way around. We can use your pr enclosure you built for the tumult and just put another 3/4" front baffle over the hole to fit the 18 incher.

Even with the high le, I can see this being a great car audio driver, since you can probably get away with x-over point being below the inductance hump. Nice small 2 cf sealed enclosure crossed at 60 hrtz. Its will hurtz soo good.:D

Noed*B

Grip
"We can use your pr enclosure you built for the tumult and just put another 3/4" front baffle over the hole to fit the 18 incher."

Just for giggles, why don't you model this up? :) In my 7 cube, 16hz PR modeled enclosure, T*m*lt low pass set to 80hz, and the 18 set to 60hz, they track eachother in SPL @ 1 watt to within .4dB from below Fb to over 80hz.

Of course, that's with the 18 moving 1/2 as far a given SPL........ In the same box...... With the same power.......

At over 5kw continuous however, I'd imagine there may be a "bit" of a difference between the two, what with 3" 4 layer coil double stacked 7.5"o.d. 1" thick magnet vs quad stacked, 10" O.D. 1" thick magnet, and an 8 layer 4 tap 3.4" long 4" diameter vc heating some 89lbs of 'heat sink', power compression is something I could barely measure free air running 90volts RMS wired down to a 2 ohm (the four 2 ohm 2 layer coils, wired series parallel) load...... Nor would it measure more than 1% distortion from 10hz-60hz free air at that same 90volts.

Yep, Le is 6.6 vs 4.2mH. But you're not going to get that MMS,VAS,FS,Qt,Bl^2/Re combo (The reason this 18"er can be stuff into the same box as the 15" T*m*lt) with a baby coil and magnet...

I think it might be just be worth playing with.

Vince Bray

Stunt Coordinator
Alot gets made of the inductance hump but in practice it just doesn't seem to be a big issue. When I measured my HE15 it shows little to no evidence of the problem, and maybe that's a room interaction, but it wasnt' an issue in my old house either.

I say the driver sounds very interesting at that price :)
(and I would love to see one hangin' out with a pair of 18" PRs, what a sight that would be)

Hey Dave,
How about this order two and ill pay you for is next time i see you...cause id really like an 18" woofer in my HT..
so to answer the question...YES IM INTERESTED!!!

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The parameters posted above are from a year old prototype pre-dating Eclipse's 18, and was made before the copper I needed tooled came off tool. The driver I would release should there be enough interest will have a MUCH flatter inductive rise, moderately higher VAS, slightly lower Fs and much lower Le. Basically it's the Aura killer I'd been working on before leaving the DIY scene..
Dammit!...I do not need another 18" woofer.

Having said that...can we get some specs on what the final woofer might be?

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
Jim
I would be interested also. It would be interesting if it is a drop-in replacement for my 1803 (then I could do a direct comparison!) Having this many choices in quality high-output DIY drivers is maddening, in a good way!
JP

Hailan R

Agent
well if someone could sneek 1 past the border id be really interested hehe. Also any idea when we could get more acurate specs on this and well maybe the an rms wattage thx

JimRHIT

Stunt Coordinator
depends on where you are in canada :):) ... i will be up in buffalo, NY every now and then this summer....

It would be more than happy bridged on a K2 .....rms ... better yet ... think macrotech

specs are not yet finalized...I will get back to you midweek with some "goals"

take it easy
jim

JimRHIT

Stunt Coordinator
...think t*m*lt ... but nothing is set in stone

we're working on pics...but have to wait till a few things clear before we post em

jim

Hailan R

Agent
cool jim thats what i wanted to hear hehe, bridged k2 then no way in hell id be able to burn out the vc's. Im near ottawa hehe so i think we could work sumthin out hehe :)

DavidFun

Agent
I'm surprised there's not more interest. Any more details to get everyone more excited?

If you were going to build these, what is your estimated delivery date.

A

Anthony_Gomez

the biggest reason there isn't more interest is probably that the people who would get this sub already have a tumult (or on order)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks