What's new

Who wants Bass Shakers?!?!??!! (1 Viewer)

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Brian I have these shakers but I have nothing to compare them against. The shakers that you have, what ohm rating are they and how are they wired up (series or parallel) you may not be putting a 8 ohm load on your receiver.

The only spec I have come up with is that these are 13ohm drivers.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
50-Watt Pro Bass Shakers, 5.4 x 2.2" frame, a mere 3 lbs., impedance @ 4 Ohms and 40 Hz resonance frequency.

Mine are wired in a series(pictures in previous post)
I cant find my amp manual, but I remember it said its rated 100w@4ohm and 70w@8ohm. I run off my subs line out to the amp.
Mine really do a great job, but these were a bit more $$..

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
One more thing. If I were you I would get either 4 of 6 shakers not 5. It will make wiring things up easier on you. If you get 4, just wire two in parallel off of the right channel and two more off the left (this will put a 6.5 ohm load on your receiver so it may be a bit of a risk, but I personally wouldn't worry about YMMV). If you get 6 I would do the same as for four and then just run two more off the center channel in parallel assuming that the fronts and center receive the amount of power.
ok chris a catch this about 4 or 6 but not 5. would it be a bad idea, something i should not do at all?

i ask becasuse i have a couch that 3 would fit on very wel a love seat that would get 2 and a lounge chair that i would put 1 on.
i dont really have a 4 or 6 combo that works out.

thanks.

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
I don’t know…. I got my mine yesterday and I’m not too impressed.
I wasn’t expecting the bolts to vibrate off the seat, but I’m getting nothing but a slight BUZZ out of them even if I hold one directly in my hand.
Brief system summery:
Lexicon DC-1 processor
Parasound HCA-2003A (220x3) running the front three
B&K Video-5 Sonata (105x5) running the four surrounds
Samson S1000 (545x2) running two SVS 20-39 Plus Subs
I have the two Shakers running off the extra 105-Watt unused channel of the B&K.
The RCA Subwoofer output of the DC-1 is split to the two AMP’s.
I tried hooking them up both in PARALLEL and in SERIES…Not much difference.
Normally when watching movies the DC-1 volume is set at –15 Db and the BASS level is around +00 Db.
When I run the system with the shakers connected I hardly even know they’re working.
The only way I can make them “shake” is to turn OFF the Samson Amp and crank the BASS level to +6 and the volume to -05 or so.
The line level of B&K channel driving them is set to FULL.
I don’t know what else to do because I obviously can’t run the SVS’s like this.
I have a pair of contemporary recliner chairs and was planning to use ONE on each chair.
Since they weren’t doing much I clamped BOTH to one chair and it still doesn’t do much.
Anyone have any ideas ???
Shawn S

Adrian_S

Second Unit
In my opinion, this is not going to work very well on these seats since the vibration effect relies on the surface it's being attached too, in this case tube metal. I think that's why the shaking effect is minimal. That's why you had to crank up the +6 to compensate for this. I'm sure someone here can confirm this or explain it better.

On my recliner for example, I have a flat wood surface to mount these on (1 on each side) and they should work just fine.

I hope you work something out and good luck. Great picks BTW.

- Adrian

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
ok chris a catch this about 4 or 6 but not 5. would it be a bad idea, something i should not do at all?
i ask becasuse i have a couch that 3 would fit on very wel a love seat that would get 2 and a lounge chair that i would put 1 on.
Correct me if I am wrong but 3 on the couch, 2 on the love seat and 1 on the lounge chair, equals 6 shakers.
You can use 5 shakers you just need to figure out a good wiring scheme to keep the load on the amp in a good range.
Do some searching on the net for wiring up speakers in parallel and series, and combinations of both.
Shawn Sefranek,
I agree with Adrian, the reason you aren't getting much effect is because of the way they are mounted. These need to be pretty solidly mounted in order to get the desired effect. Take a look at how mine are mounted
From looking at your pics it is going to be a good challenge to try and mount them on those chairs. I would try mounting them in a piece of wood like what I have, and then try using a clamp like this http://www.durapex.com/catalog%5Cpics%5CCLAMP.jpg to see if that helps.
Good luck!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Correct me if I am wrong but 3 on the couch, 2 on the love seat and 1 on the lounge chair, equals 6 shakers.

o brother i was half asleep when i posted that.

i meant 2 on the couch and love seat and 1 on the lounge.

anyway at this point it doesnt matter i'm going to order 4 and figure it out from there.

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
Yes, I understand what you guys are saying about more contact to the frame of the chair, but the problem is they’re not vibrating that much to begin with.
If I reach under the seat and feel them during a scene with lots of BASS they aren’t doing much at all.
I think I need to boost the signal going into the AMP that’s driving them. That way they’ll be getting a stronger signal and should work better.
I could LOWER the signal on the Samson, but the SVS’s are properly calibrated and I don’t really want to mess with those.
When I get the time I’ll explore a better way to provide more surface contact.
I just threw this together quickly to see how they worked.
Shawn S

Curtis Lotter

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone here with an update on their projects?
:emoji_thumbsup: or :thumbsdown:
I decided to pick up four of them after reading this thread. I do have them but haven't had a chance to do an install yet.
My plan is to use the dual sub outs on my DSP-A1 and route those through the unused main amps of the DSP-A1 to power 2 tranducers per channel. I use a parasound amp now instead of the built in amps so I have the internal amps available. (untill I get the upgrade bug:frowning: )
Will keep posted!:)

Curtis Lotter

Stunt Coordinator
Oh by the way, a good friend has dual Buttkickers/dual Carvin amps/and a Behringer thing-a-ma-jig in his setup, so I definitely have something to reference these with. You have to wear a jock strap when you watch a movie over there.:D
I'm anticipating he will call these the Butt-ticklers.:b
Hopefully, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Must get going on the 'ticklers.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
I like them enough to buy 2 more of them (for the remaining sections of my couch). I keep them on at a volume that I would say is subtle. It's enough to get the effect but not enough to be annoying, the thought of having to wear a jock strap to watch a movie doesn't appeal to me. :D

Thomas J. Coyle III

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all
I picked up two of the bass shakers from All Electronics and am driving them with an Audiosource 5.1 amp. I have them wired in parallel for about 6 ohms impedance. Since I have a sofa-sleeper at the sweet spot for the home theater, I mounted the transducers on a cross-member that is right below the bottom of the back cushion. When I tried out the transducers at the Dolby reference level for the LFE channel they felt very weak even with the amp at full gain. However, when I ran Top Gun right after the level check, I found that the shakers were being way over driven by the LFE channel. So I turned them down to a more subtle level just by listening to the source material. The shakers were awesome on Star Wars II--could have even turned them down a little more, however it was fun being shaken off of the sofa every time a star ship whizzed by. Can definitely recommend these low priced transducers. Does not take much to add to the movie experience.
Regards,
TCIII

Dan M~

Second Unit
Finally got two of mine installed. They are "Y"'d off the sub output, into an extra 20W/Channel receiver I had laying around. They are connected in parrellel to only one channel of the receiver. I have not had much time to play with them, or adjust them in. Here are a couple of pics.
***Cut and Paste***
www.geocities.com/boxcab/TactileTransducer01.JPG
The 1X6 is screwed to some cross members in the sectional couch. I drilled two 2.75 inch diameter holes in the 1X6 using a hole saw in my drill press.
***Cut and Paste***
www.geocities.com/boxcab/TactileTransducer02.JPG
Slightly different angle. I have two transducers to add to the other side of the sectional couch... when time allows.
PS Thanks Scoot!!
EDIT: Dumped the IMG link and added Cut and Paste links... hope that works better.

Curtis Lotter

Stunt Coordinator
I finally got mine installed last Sunday. I put the four transducers in two 5" x 24" pieces of hickory. I then screwed those to the front frame of my sectional.(all 4 in the same piece of sectional) I have pictures, don't know how to insert them.
I have to admit, I'm very pleasantly surprised by how these perform! :) I put in Episode 2 and immediately went to the asteroid scene. If I had been videotaped, you would have seen a foolish grin spread across my face, along with the shaking of a couple of cheeks & a couple of chins! :D
I first tried to hook these up through my sub-outs as I described earlier. It didn't work like I thought it would because I'm using an out-board crossover for my bass management. I have my mains set to large and then use the crossover to split the signal between my subs and my mains. When I set the sub out to the "both" setting instead of the "main" setting, it greatly reduced the signal going to my subs. Next I tried an old passive (Hsu) sub crossover I wasn't using and it worked great. Now I have control over frequency and level.
For a very flexible and easy to use setup, I think some of the plate style subwoofer amps would work great with these.
Curt

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
dan that second pick is funny. it looks like your couch is on the wall.:D

Dan M~

Second Unit
On the wall huh? That would make it easier on my bad back when working on these darn things!:D
Finally spend some time on the couch and adjusted the levels. I find that they work best when they shake at about the same level as my Tempest is already shaking the room!!
If you have a sub that plays real low, Tactile transducers may not be needed.

Thomas J. Coyle III

Stunt Coordinator
To all
Hate to say it, but the All Electronics bass shakers are all sold out! Their website did not say if they would have anymore in the future.
Regards,
TCIII

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
Nooooooooo.....they can't be out...I didn't order mine yet:frowning:
EDIT: I just called...they said they are definetly OUT for good!!! She said to call her tomorrow she may be able to dig up 2 of them for me but thats it....no more :frowning: If she can find 2 for me would anyone else have to they would like to sell??? I need 4 total for my plan but i waited to long:thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks