What's new

Who wants Bass Shakers?!?!??!! (1 Viewer)

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Rodney, since this thread is about a different brand of shaker I would try searching for threads concerning the intereactor vest or starting a seperate thread. I have never seen the shaker type that you are talking about, if you can supply a picture I may be able to make an educated guess. Sorry I can't be of more help.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I used a speaker selector (instead of a second receiver/amplifier) to split the subwoofer signal between my sub and two shakers, which seems to work well in my mediocre setup. :)
I screwed the two shakers onto a 1" thick wooden board and mounted that underneath my metal futon frame. I'm not sure how much the metal affects the overall shake, but two 25w shakers do the job nicely (I have the Aura shakers).

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Ummm...truth be told..I WAS going to create a platform for about 25 chairs to sit on outside with shakers installed. It's still in the back of my mind! Just have to figure the cash segment!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Do you have a hard time setting the clock on your VCR?
:frowning:
thanks for the insult.
:D i know you were joking. anyway.
actually i always could set up almost any audio/video device up with minimal manual usage but when it comes down to hooking them up to other devices using wires, extenders or anything electrical i get easily confused for some reason.
when you started mentioning ohms and loads and those sort of phrases i just phased out myself.
so thanks for the detailed directions on ways to set these up.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Just in case there is any confusion left here is little diagram showing one way to hook up two shakers.

JeffreyMercado

Second Unit
I just bought two shakers, thanks for the heads up. That said I have a Outlaw 950 prepro with one sub out. If I buy a y-splitter will that degrade the signal going to my sub? Also can I just use the sub out on my DVD player? I also have a 770 amp 200x7 with 2 channels not used. Is it better to run each shaker seperately are together off of one channel as mentioned above? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Jeff

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
I personally wouldn't worry about sound degradation from splitting the sub out on your preamp. If there is any it will be miniscule. You could always try using the sub out on your DVD player, not sure if it would work or not.

The problem with using one amp to drive all your speakers plus your shakers is that these shakers are weird impendence (13 ohm) and your speakers are 8 ohm. I don't know if your amp will have a problem running different channels at different loads or not.

I personally think that running one shaker per channel is not the best because the shakers are 13ohm, I would rather run two in parrallel and put a 6.5 ohm load on the amp.

JeffreyMercado

Second Unit
Thanks so much for your quick response. The diagram helped a lot. I will try the dvd out just to see if it works and buy a y-splitter tomorrow.
Thanks Again

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
chris... yes, now that is what i'm talking about. that is beautiful.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Alright, a few more questions before these shakers arrive.

What is the threshold for burning these things out? I was going to use an old receiver I have that puts out 100 watts/ch (each channel having 2 shakers in parallel.) If I cranked it to full would they fry? How far can they go?

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Joe, I cant really answer your question, but I don't think you are going to want to play them full out. I personally think these work best when the effect is subtle. When I first plugged mine in I had them cranked up and found them to be more of an annoyance then something I enjoyed. Once I toned them down I found the effect much more enjoyable.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
These take VERY little power to do their thing. If I recall correctly the Aura's that I have are 15 watts..and create balls tingling excitment!

So..start low and work upwards in SMALL increments. In setting mine I used the Test mode on my Denon...and held it at the sub woofer level set.

Thomas J. Coyle III

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All
Got the bug to get a couple of these tactile transducers after reading almost two pages of thread at the time. Jumped on the manufacture's website, but could not find any reference to this type of transducer. Has anyone else had any luck finding any additional specs on these units? Since I just live over the hill from All Electronics, I had them in the house the day after I ordered them. They seem to be fairly sturdily constructed. Glad to know that it does not take much to make them work well. I wonder if the big guys buy these, repackage, and sell them for big bucks. I am now waiting on an Audiosource Amp5.1 to power them. Plan to put them on the bottom of a leather sofa-sleeper. Think that it will be easy to attach them to the box springs underneath and that should spread-out the vibrations fairly evenly. Once I get it going, I will let all know how they work with a sofa-sleeper.
Regards,
TCIII

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
Mine arrived last week, and they work quite well...Thanks :emoji_thumbsup:
Thomas,
My couch is a 3-seater with a fold out bed, so I always assumed that there wouldn't be a good place to put these. There's really no space to attach them to the metal frame of the bed, so I ended up fastening these to the back board on the couch. Works perfectly! The rumbles go straight to your spine. I'm now thinking about getting another pair for the front of the couch (by your legs), since my old receiver has two channels. I too was afraid of blowing them too (especially when I put in SPRyan), but they can handle quite alot of punishment (my receiver is rated at 40 W/ch into 6 ohms). I wired them in parallel, and the volume knob on my receiver is cranked to half (if that helps anybody at all). It should be even better when I get another pair.
Thanks again Scooter (and Chris for advice on setting these):D

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
Shawn and everyone else...SW II will be on sale for 9.99 at toys R us on tuesday...limit one per person and that is for the wide screen verson as well as the VHS and the full screen.
ok I am going post this in its own thread ;)
Ehh never mind...its already there. I knwo where I will be tomorrow morning :D

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
Last year, I hooked up my shakers exactly like the diagram above, and it works great-
By adjusting the "balance" on the AMP, you can effectively turn off 1/2 the shakers.
I've recently added 4 shakers to my couch, so I'll have 4 on each channel. By adjusting the "balance", I can completely turn off the couch, and leave the chair on.... (this was my WIFEs idea... :) )
Here is the chair: (I did a better job with the couch).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
too bad someone couldnt buy 20 or more . as they are only 8 a piece for 20 or more.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
I just want to add that you can use your SPL sound meter to set the level on these guys. I just turned off my sub, placed the meter on the couch and played the test tones via AVIA. I set the shakers to -3db from all my other channels and I think that is a very good balance between having the desired effect and being annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks