Who wants Bass Shakers?!?!??!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scooter, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    This is something that ordinarily would go in the For Sale or Bargains area..but this is SUCH a good deal...I wanted maximum exposure..so HTF-er's would get a good first shot at buyin'em!
    http://www.allelectronics.com/
    Item Number AS-500
    DAMN cheap!
    Never let it be said I don't luv y'all!

2. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

Thanks for the heads up I just ordered two of them I'll report back as to how well they work out.

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

What do you need to drive something like that? Amp? How many watts?

4. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

My shakers arrived yesterday. First off let me say that this is my first experience with Bass Shakers, these are the first ones that I have even seen in person.
    When I first opened the box my first reaction was dissapointment. They are pretty small, four inches in diameter and about 2 inches deep, there was also no documentation or instructions provided. But I wasn't about to let that stop me from giving them a chance. Went over to Radio Shack bought my self a Y splitter to split the subwoofer out from my receiver, ran a cable over to an old Marantz 2220B receiver (20 watts per channel) that I had lying around collecting dust and hooked the two shakers up. I weired them in series and tested them out. They shook pretty well and worked fine so I decided to install them on to my couch.
    They are designed to fit into a 2.75" wide hole half an inch deep, I was feeling lazy and didn't feel like taking out the saw and drill so I just got some long screws and just surfaced mounted them to get an idea on how well they will work. My couch is a sectional in four different parts (two end pieces, a corner piece, and a straight section) the straight section is my sweet spot so I mounted both of them on it.
    With the installation done I fired up the projector and put in Jurrassic Park and went straight to the T-rex scene. I gotta say I was pleasantly surprised. I guess this is one of those instances where size and first impressions don't matter so much. My butt was shaking with each step of the T-rex, in fact it was shaking to much, turned down the volume on the shakers to a more reasonable level and was very pleased with the results.
    After installing them I watched Hearts In Atlantis which has almost zero subwoofer activity, so little in fact that I pretty much forgot about the shakers. Near the end of the movie there is a scene where a train is coming and there is definitely some bass, surprised my butt a little [​IMG]
    They sent a product catalog along with the shakers which I didn't bother reading until I was in bed. In the catalog there is some information about the shakers that wasn't on the website nor in the package that contained the actual shakers. There was a company name that was listed which I can't remember and they also listed them as being 13 ohms. Since I have them running in series they are putting a 26 ohm load on my receiver.
    I will probably switch them to parrallel wiring so that the receiver is seeing a 6.5 ohm load (I hope my receiver doesn't complain about that). Sometime this weekend I will mount them properly and I am going to expieriment with putting just one on the section of the couch. If you sit in the adjacent sections of the couch you don't get any of the shaker effect.
    So far so good, I am happy with them. I will report back after I have correctly installed them (not sure how much of a difference it will make) and after I have wired them up differently and also after trying just one per seat.
    For 9 dollars a piece it is hard to go wrong. I got two of them shipped to me for less than $25.

5. Bryan "C." A.

Give the subway scenes in any or all of "The Jackal," "End of Days," and "The Matrix" and the helicopter explosion scenes in "True Lies" and "The Matrix" some trials.

6. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

Thirteen ohms is the resistance on these transducers?
    Is that not a lot? Wire them in parallel and I guess it would be 7 ohms correct? Oh, I read the rest of your post Chris and saw the answer.
    Would you say that you will need two shakers per section on your couch?
    How big is that center section in the sweet spot?

7. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

I am going to try putting only one on my sweet spot, that section of couch only seats one. I will know more by the weekends end.

8. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

Chris-
    Can you explain how you hooked the shakers up through your old receiver? How did you input the sub signal to the old receiver? Did you then hook the shakers to the L/R of the receiver?

Also, if one has an ouput on their sub (I have a Sony SAMW40), can you hook the shakers up to this and let the sub drive them?

Thanks for the input...

--Tom

9. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Tom,

I think Chris just used the old receiver's amps to drive power to the bass shakers. The signal fed into the shakers and his sub was split with a Radio Shack Y adapter. So the old receiver was just powering the bass shakers not feeding them a signal. I think...

10. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

I split the subwoofer out from my Outlaw Receiver with a Y splitter from radio shack. Then ran one RCA cable over to my old Marantz receiver and put it into the left channel of the Auxillary input. I then just ran speaker wire out of the left channel only (since the right channel isn't getting a signal) on the Marantz to the bass shakers.

Basically the Auxillary input on the Marantz receiver is getting the subwoofer out information from the Outlaw receiver as if it were a cd player or a tape deck.

If I end up buying more shakers for the rest of the couch, I will buy another Y splitter so that the one signal coming from the subwoofer splits into two and I will plug one into the left and one into the right of the auxillary input.

As for running the shakers off of the out from your subwoofer, sorry I have no idea.

Does that all make sense?

11. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I just ordered 2 to experiment with... sounds like fun [​IMG]
    (I have an old Rotel receiver that is dying for some use)

12. Adrian_S

Adrian_S Second Unit

...[​IMG]

13. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

That helps Chris...thanks for the help!

--Tom

14. RossTerry

RossTerry Guest

what about the subwoofer idea? would it work?

15. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
  16. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Thanks! I love adding something new to my HT experience! And this had Bob Barker written all over it: The Price Is Right!

17. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

Wes those are the units that I bought.

I had some time to play with them some more this weekend. I attached them to my couch better. I took some wood cut out a hole in the middle, and attached the shakers to that, then attached the wood to the couch. Before I just had some long screws holding the shakers to the couch. Kind of hard to explain, but the new way is better.

I wired them in parallel instead of series, I also mounted only one unit on my sweet spot and the other on another section of the couch. Having only one per segment of my couch is sufficient (each segment seats one person).

I didn't try the system while I had both of them on one section of the couch after changing to parallel wiring. But I did not have to adjust the volume much at all after going to parellel wiring and only having one shaker on the section of the couch, this leads me to believe that parallel wiring is definetly more effiecient (which makes sense).

As to be able to power them off of a subwoofer with a sub out. I highly doubt it. I would assume that this is just feeding the sound information but not supplying any power. I don't know for sure but that is what I would guess. You can probably find a cheap receiver through your local classifieds or a garage sale for 10-20 dollars, it doesn't need to be anything fancy.

18. Joey_R

Joey_R Stunt Coordinator

As for hooking these up to the Sony Subwoofer, I think it will depend entirely on how you have the Sony hooked up. If you are using the Sony line level subwoofer input (Mono), the “speaker outputs” should be disabled. If you are using the “speaker level” inputs (Right and Left) on the Sony, the speaker outputs will be active. However, the outputs may be crossed over with low frequency stripped from the output, since the subwoofer is reproducing this frequency. You need to check your owner’s manual. Additionally, if you do use the speaker outputs on the Sony, the addition of the bass shakers will affect the resistance load (ohms) recognized by the receiver. This will affect volume as well.

19. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I wonder if it makes a difference if you mount them horizontal or vertical. I'm guessing horizontal would make dinos foot step feel better but vertical might make most other things feel more correct like shock waves.
    Not sure!

Wes

20. MWestyn

MWestyn Stunt Coordinator

I just placed an order for 2 of them...we'll see how they work out when they get here.

Any of you who already have them, let us know how they're doing.