What's new

who wants a mig21? (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
yeah, I can almost afford the jet a to spool up the engine :)
I'm not buying that the airframe has 660 total time on it.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Boy my neighbors would really hate me then.
Nope hate is the wrong word...FEAR is correct!

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
This was advertised in a short column in the local Minneapolis Star-Tribune today. My buddies and I got a kick out of this today. The whole MIG-21. Where in the heck does this guy get a MIG-21? ...it almost seems kinda fishy. Although, I know it's a legit ebay posting... we're not talking about some old car junker lying around someone's backyard. It's a Russian Fighter Jet for God's sake!
And what about the part where he says he doesn't want any military aircraft enthusiasts e-mailing him about the bid? Don't you think that's kinda weird? I mean, obvisouly, the guy only wants serious inquiries... but how does he expect anyone to get any other info if they aren't allowed to e-mail? ....weird.
Mach 1.8! ;) ha!
scott.

Walt N

Second Unit
People have been flying Mig 15's and 21's out of the Chino airport in California for many years now. Before the fall of the USSR they were getting them from China, but now they might be available for purchase in Russia as well. They come with the guns removed and lead ballast in place to keep the CG intact. Experts only need apply as they're quite deadly in the hands of those who aren't. The MIG-15 in particular was very prone to flat spins and in their heyday (Korean & Vietnam wars) the Russians lost more pilots and aircraft to training accidents than combat. As early Russion aircraft weren't big on ejection seats, instead there is a white stripe painted on the instrument panel, so the procedure under a "spin loss of control" was to place the stick on the white stripe. This gave the pilot something to do while they were kissing their ass goodbye.
For their time though, they were incredible fighters and they led to even more incredible aircraft. To this day the Sukhoi Su-27 and the MIG-29's are known to easily outmaneuver any combat fighters we've ever built. Just ask your local neighborhood F-16 pilot if he can do the Cobra maneuver in his airplane. :)

RichardMA

Second Unit
You can only go by kill ratios when judging fighters
and there is nothing out there that matches an F-15.

Walt N

Second Unit
"You can only go by kill ratios when judging fighters
and there is nothing out there that matches an F-15."

No doubt, American aircraft have greatly superior weapons systems and avionics over Russian aircraft. That would account for the superior kill ratio. On the other hand, give two equally skilled pilots nothing but machine guns in a traditional dogfight and the SU-27 will beat anything in our stable. It's a superior handling aircraft of ingenious design. Maybe not important to Raytheon stockholders or the National Defense, but pure flying ability is something that pilots like to think about just for grins. The Russians have been beating us since the start of the Cold War in that respect...and we've always been ahead of them in terms of weapons software and hardware.

Walt N

Second Unit
"bah! just because the ruskies have thrust vectoring..."

To my knowledge the Russians have never had thrust vectoring capabilities on any of their production fighters. The difference is less reliance on flight envelope computers in favor of more traditional and "flyable" stick and rudder designs, which are much more difficult to do at these levels of performance.

Walt N

Second Unit
It made prototype status but was never covered their ramps. Fortunately for us, we'd already spent the Russians into the ground by then.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
they were still the first to demonstrate it, back in '96 or so, that's fairly impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks