Who uses acoustic room treatments?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Kim, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Ted Kim

Ted Kim Stunt Coordinator

A common thread running through a lot of posts is that the room is going to be the limiting factor. But doing a search here on "bass trap*" or "acoustic treat*" doesn't provide any useful information. So, if you use acoustic room treatments in either your HT or stereo systems, please speak up. I am contemplating making some of my own by the way, ala the recipes of Jon Risch http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/a.htm.

Note tube traps will reportedly make the biggest difference in the room, versus something like the Argent Room Lens. http://www.acousticsciences.com/index-original.htm

2. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

I use the JR treatments in my dedicated basement HT. This room is a DMZ, of sorts, from any WAF influence, so even though these treatments won't make the cover of HT Interiors, they are extremely effective.

Also use Auralex diffusor panels, JR side-wall and front-wall panels, and JR "corner tunes"... among other things.

Easily the most dramatic improvement I have ever made to better the sonics in my room.

BOK

3. Ted Kim

Do you think you could rank the level of importance of each of those room treatments as to what made the most difference to you?

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

you might find the links here to be of some use Ted.
    http://www.bostonaudiosociety.org/links3.htm
    It might not be such a bad idea to pick up a book or two (local library via interlibrary loan or Amazon).
    For me I think it's dealing with first points of reflection within the confines of a significant other that prove the most beneficial. However your room may have other issues.

There've been some posts over the past few months in the DIY at HTF as well as at HomeTheaterTalk that had nice links to members approaches. The pictures were wonderful. But I think it in part begins with a little bit of reading to get an overview of the problem(s).

5. Ted Kim

There are some pretty good links in there, Chu. Thanks[​IMG]

I've done a bit of reading on the subject before and am familiar with the live-end dead-end approach favored by some when it comes to stereo. However, HT seems to introduce a number of other issues and the same strategy doesn't seem to be optimal.

Here are some more good links for those interested that are a good primer on acoustics.

http://www.acoustics101.com/
    http://www.auralexuniversity.com/

6. Brian OK

Ted,

What treatment was the most important would be tough, as each room can present different problems.
    For my room (20'4" X 12'9" X 7'3"), the ceiling was (and is) the biggest issue, and how the bass responded. So in that regard, bass traps up to the ceiling was the first thing I did. And then did the corner tunes above the traps.

Then side-wall panels (imaging helped tremendously with these). These are a must in any room, IMO. If you do not do full bass traps in the corners, then 1st reflections panels are a must.
    Diffusors would be the least important in my room, as the space is really too small for diffusors to really help a lot.
    But I foam-filled the diffusors to make them behave like abfussors (more bass absorption). And I have moved them dozens of time around the wall/celing junction to see where they best "fit". They are like mini bass traps which break up all that wall energy.

Keep in mind that when I had the room built, I had soffits built along the length of the long walls. And one of the long wall has a 45 degree (not a 90 degree box) angle "closet" to hide the main water line entry. And the opposite long wall has a 45 degree where it meets the back wall. Double 1/2" drywall, 1/4" neoprene spacers between the 5/8" ceiling drywall and the joists. Tons of insulation in all the cavities, etc....

Well, you get the idea. It all depends how far you want to go before the wife crosses over into your "space", and says you are now, dear husband, over the top ;^)

BOK

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Out of curiousity Brian, when you reposition things, do you use anything like a sound card + microphone + software to see the effects?

8. Brian OK

No Chu, no instrumentation, or software.
    My main concern is that the velcro straps will hold the abfussors ;^O in place and not come cascading onto the floor, or equipment. 8*)

They are really absorbers and diffractors.. and as mentioned, their effectiveness is not even close to traps and panels. Their positioning is more to do with what they do to the depth of the soundstage in the room. Very subtle, but they like the front of the room it seems, as most have "migrated" in that direction. Gee, I just realized that !

BOK

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

and they said the x-files was fake! hah!