Who upgraded from an expensive analog RPTV to a progressive RPTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard_S, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Since I've been looking at adding an amp to my sound system I figure I might consider spending the money on a new tv. Something that I want to do but there's something holding me back.

I have an old Pioneer Elite SD-P5193. It's 5 years old now. It was one of the best in its time and it's still pretty good although I'm thinking that it might lack considerably behind the average progressive monitors in DVD playback. I don't really have a need for another tv in my household so there's really nowhere that would benefit from moving my Elite TV to somewhere else.

I did spend a lot of money on this tv back then and would require a lot of money to buy another Elite monitor. Of course I can buy the cheaper Panasonics and Toshibas but is that a downgrade? I know there are many guys who upgraded from a direct view monitor to a big screen. But how many of you guys upgraded from an expensive analog tv to another expensive progressive tv? What did you do with your old tv? Is it worth it? Do you think I should do it? Your opinion would be much appreciated. I just don't know when it would be a good time to upgrade since my family customarily waits till the tv actually dies.

2. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

If I recall, Gregg Loewen used to have a nice Elite RPTV but switch to a 65" Toshiba HDTV WS set a few years ago. I think he considers it a pretty big upgrade.

I'm sure it's still a nice TV, but most of the mid-tier HD sets (after being calibrated) should blow it away.

3. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Even the least expensive HD ready set will be a huge upgrade to any analog tv on the market...

4. Howard_S

Ya that's what I'm thinking. I went to a store today that sells Toshiba and Sony, and Hitachi as well as Pioneer and Pioneer Elite recommended me to go with a Sony (wait for the new one to come out) cause it will give me better performance with cable tv. He feels that the three brands are all pretty similar in terms of dvd performance since they'll all look great. Toshiba, Panasonic, and Sony (and Mits too?) seems to be the front runner around here which should I really go with? And how fast does technology change for RPTVs right now. Is it wise to buy the new stuff that is about to come out?

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

In August of 99 I bought a top-of-the-line Hitachi Ultravision model # 53SBX59B, their best analog rptv, and considered it's picture at least as good as or even better than my Sony KV35XBR48 direct-view. While possible not in the same league as your 5 year old Elite, it was a very nice set--the best analog rptv I could find at the time. It's essentially the same as the set Consumer reports rated highest among analog rptvs a few months ago.

Last October I bought an Hitachi 53UWX10B widescreen HD-ready model. For dvd and HD, of course, it had a much sharper and more detailed picture than the analog set, but could not display the subtlety and variety of color that the analog set did. Color was sorta "flat" for want of a better word. Fleshtones weren't nearly as good as on the analog set, lacking subtle variations in color (Rose's peaches and cream complexion in Titanic, for example) For regular tv, it was virtually unwatchable due to posterized fleshtones and a truly nausea-inducing variable stretch mode, and sparklies in bright solid colors.

I was so dissapointed I was about to send it back for a refund and go back to the analog Ultravision.

When I went to CC to arrange the return, I saw the Sony KP51HW40, played with it for a while, and ordered a 57 incher to replace the Hitachi. Within 20 minutes of it's arrival, I was a happy camper.

Even regular tv looks better on this Sony than it did on the analog Hitachi, and dvd and HD are much better than on either the analog or HD-ready widescreen Hitachi.

Keep in mind that the Hitachi widescreen I had was the UWX series, and that they also make an SWX (and are introducing a new model range XWX soon) that may perform better than the set I had.

So almost any HD-ready model will outperform your old elite with dvd and of course HD, but you will need to shop carefully and make sure you have good signal sources if you want regular tv to look as good as it does on your existing set.

6. Howard_S

Perhaps that's what my sales guy was talking about when he said non HD tv looks like crap on the progressive scan except for Sony's.

I can go satellite but I don't see this happening anytime soon. But I don't watch tv too much anyways. Perhaps it's because cable on my Elite looks pretty bad except for the paid channels where there's a digital signal. So what did you do with your old tv? That's one major issue for me right now. RPTVs are a beast to move and place.

One major reason I am thinking about upgrading is DVD performance though. I usually have lights mostly out and I find texts to be a bit blurry and things to be bright sometimes. So I know it's not as good as it can be. And yes I've properly calibrated via Avia too (at least I think I did it correctly). I am hoping that an HD set will make my movies even more enjoyable and be more film like.

7. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Howard,
    The biggest difference I've noticed is how film-like progressive scan anamorphic dvd looks on a widescreen rptv. It's as close to projected film as you're going to get short of a Front Projector setup. The virtual absence of scan lines makes a huge difference along with the ability to take advantage of anamorphic dvds with no downconversion.

If cable looks bad on your old set, it will probably look even worse on the new one. I have a Toshiba DST-3000 HD-capable DirecTV receiver, which will tune standard and HD satellite as well as analog and digital OTA stuff. It will output either 480i (with HD downrezzed) via S-video or 1080i (with 480i uprezzed) via component. With a smallish roof antenna and the oval dish, I get very nice pictures from the local analog and 480i Satellite channels if I use the S-output and let the set do the line doubling. I'm about to cancel my cable service alltogether. 1080i via satellite or local digital broadcast via the component output is absolutely stunning.

I still have that analog Ultravision in an unused room. I plan to hook up all my video game systems to it along with a cheap sound system, so I don't have to use the HD ready set for non-widescreen games.

8. Howard_S

Well sometimes it seems the tv looks bad [​IMG] But I'm really not concerned about TV quality. I don't really sit down and watch tv on this rig. So it's mainly just movies.
    I was thinking of thinking of using this monitor for gaming too but then I don't know if I want to connect the newer systems such as the Xbox to it though.