What's new

who started the whole "wait for it" line? (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
you know what i mean... i remember in Arrested Development; GOB would say stuff like "macaroni, wait for it... with cheese!". How I Met Your Mother's Barney says "Legen, wait for it... dary!". i was just wondering if there are any references that predate these.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I started using it way before AD and HIMYM, but it was definitely a movie or TV reference. I always repeat it twice with a pause (wait for it... wait for it...), because that's how I originally heard it. I can't remember where it came from -- at one point, I though it was Scrooged, but it wasn't. The last time my friends and I tried to figure it out, all I could come up with was Star Wars. But I'd like to know as well just so I can tell my friends.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
It dates back at least as far back as Schwatzenegger in Kindergarten Cop. He tell the kids to "wait for it" with his whistle.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
that thread is interesting but the way i was referring to the usage of "wait for it" in the original post is pretty specific, as in they say a word/phrase that you usually don't split up, except in this particualr joke they put the "wait for it" in the middle :)

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
Can't recall one offhand in the TV series, but there was a "wait for it" in Life of Brian:

"Crucifixion party! Wait for it...Crucifixion party! By the left! Forward!"

The earliest I can recall the line used that way is in British Second World War films (or comedies referencing same), often by gruff sergeants to over-eager troops who were anticipating an order too quickly.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I think it's a British military thing. It was in Monty Python's "And Now For Something Completely Different" but you'll probably find it in British war movies prior to that. I think John Cleese said it in the self defense against fruit sketch, and Graham Chapman used it in at least one link.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
A line my six year old son uses along with, "didn't see that coming..." He asked me that once as where the line came from and I couldn't answer him. Maybe the answer will come here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks