who started the whole "wait for it" line?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by EricW, May 15, 2007.

1. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

you know what i mean... i remember in Arrested Development; GOB would say stuff like "macaroni, wait for it... with cheese!". How I Met Your Mother's Barney says "Legen, wait for it... dary!". i was just wondering if there are any references that predate these.

2. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    I started using it way before AD and HIMYM, but it was definitely a movie or TV reference. I always repeat it twice with a pause (wait for it... wait for it...), because that's how I originally heard it. I can't remember where it came from -- at one point, I though it was Scrooged, but it wasn't. The last time my friends and I tried to figure it out, all I could come up with was Star Wars. But I'd like to know as well just so I can tell my friends.

3. Louis C

Louis C Supporting Actor

It dates back at least as far back as Schwatzenegger in Kindergarten Cop. He tell the kids to "wait for it" with his whistle.

4. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Wasn't it from Monty Python? I can't remember exactly which episode though, but I do believe it was pronounced by John Cleese.

5. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

was it used in the same context? does anyone have specific lines?

6. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

7. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

that thread is interesting but the way i was referring to the usage of "wait for it" in the original post is pretty specific, as in they say a word/phrase that you usually don't split up, except in this particualr joke they put the "wait for it" in the middle [​IMG]

8. Jonathan Kaye

Jonathan Kaye Second Unit

Can't recall one offhand in the TV series, but there was a "wait for it" in Life of Brian:

"Crucifixion party! Wait for it...Crucifixion party! By the left! Forward!"

The earliest I can recall the line used that way is in British Second World War films (or comedies referencing same), often by gruff sergeants to over-eager troops who were anticipating an order too quickly.

9. MikeEn

MikeEn Stunt Coordinator

My girlfriend in 10th grade.

10. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I think it's a British military thing. It was in Monty Python's "And Now For Something Completely Different" but you'll probably find it in British war movies prior to that. I think John Cleese said it in the self defense against fruit sketch, and Graham Chapman used it in at least one link.

11. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

A line my six year old son uses along with, "didn't see that coming..." He asked me that once as where the line came from and I couldn't answer him. Maybe the answer will come here.