What's new

Who started the wearing of baseball caps? (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I discovered something interesting when reading Roger Ebert's Toronto Film Festival article for today:

"And by the way: Does Eminem [who wears caps] or anyone else know who started the ubiquitous modern custom of wearing baseball caps while not playing baseball?

It was Norman Jewison who discovered in the late 1950s that the caps kept the sun out of his eyes while he was lining up outdoor shots. Other directors and cinematographers followed, actors copied them, and a fashion fad was born. Fact."

~T

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
It was Norman Jewison who discovered in the late 1950s that the caps kept the sun out of his eyes
And to think that no one knew before then, that caps with brims kept the sun out of their eyes. :) Do you suppose that Norman also discovered a pragmatic use of sunglasses? :D
I’d like to go on record in the early 2000s as stating that I’ve found out that Stetsons and Akubras keep the sun out of your eyes and also do a good job of keeping the sun off your face and neck. :) :D After all in another 50 years, I might get the credit. :b :D

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
What I want to know is who started the wearing of baseball caps BACKWARDS?
I'd like to know that too. Is it to keep the sun off of one's neck?

Another question: why do country and western singers always wear cowboy hats, even indoors? Would you not be able to figure out what type of music they were singing otherwise?

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Cohen's First Ancillary Airport Suggestion [or, Cohen's Fifth Rule]: Wear a tie with baseball caps on it, but never wear a baseball cap and a tie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.