Who should replace Jerry Orbach on Law & Order?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Paul McElligott, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Orbach is moving on to a less time-consuming role on the newest L&O spin-off, Trial by Jury?

Who would you like to see replace him?

I kind of think that Jerry Doyle from B5 would be a good choice.

For a female detective, how about Michelle Forbes of Homicide and 24?

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Bump Jesse L. Martin up to his spot and bring in Samantha Buck, who filled in for Katherine Erbe on Criminal Intent during her maternity leave. An older, wiser Chris Noth might be an interesting idea, too.

3. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I wouldn't mind seeing Jerry Doyle or Chris Noth.

4. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I'd love for them to bring back Noth.

Then again, I think what L&O really needs is less stories "ripped from the headlines" and more "unique" stories ala the first four seasons, where the stories weren't necessarily headlines but common police work/corruption/etc. Hell, Cragen wearing a wire to bust a dirty chief, that's the L&O I loved [​IMG] Mob busts going wrong. Cigarrette tax scams.

5. Nathan_F

Nathan_F Second Unit

Nathan
    I'm just waiting for them to change the name of the original show to L&O: Ripped from the Headlines! It seems like every week is a current event "with a twist you won't believe!"

I can't believe Brisco is leaving though. I do like the idea of bringing back one of the past detectives.. Noth would be an interesting twist!

6. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I don't think we will see Chris Noth on L&O anytime soon since Noth had disagreements with Dick Wolf over the direction of the story in the Exile TV movie.

Be Seeing you,
    David Blackwell

7. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott
    I was thinking that they might try a new direction for the replacement. Maybe female (might be fun to see two women gang up on Ed Green [​IMG]) or maybe Asian or Hispanic.

Just thinking aloud.

8. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

Ooooh, I still have a crush on her from her ST:TNG days as Ensign Roe. I vote for her!

9. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

How about Natasha Hendstridge? I know she was in the crappy TV show Spies, but she would provide a boost to the show. I think they need to go with a woman for the senior detective role. A woman in her 30's/40's that you could believe as someone who has been there for years.

10. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Id start watching again if they brought Noth back or Jill Hennesey who cant really come back because of Crossing Jordan. I stopped watching it after they left.

How about Roy Scheider?

Michelle Forbes is a great idea!!

11. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

I think the fact that her character (ADA Claire Kincaid) died in a car crash at the end of season 6 would be a little more problematic.

12. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott
    Can you say "Law & Order/Buffy" crossover? [​IMG]

13. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

You know, I was thinking.. Detective Munch moved from "Homicide" to L&O:SVU, I would love to see Detective Pembelton come into L&O [​IMG]

14. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

Only if "Hack" gets cancelled.

15. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

That's a good idea. But Natasha Henstridge isn't even 30 (she will be in August), and may be too pretty -- this isn't NYPD Blue. And you've already got a blonde on the DA side. I like Paul's idea of an Asian or Hispanic, a currently underserved group. And since they don't focus on the characters, it will be someone who "just happens to be", which is good way to go.

16. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey

I could be wrong but I thought she was critically injured but didnt die. Can anyone confirm?

17. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

As I recall, it was the first show the next season when Briscoe and McCoy talk about her. They don't actually say she died, although that would be the most likely outcome given their mood and what they actually did say. (She could also have been in a coma, for example.) When they filmed it, they might have been trying to get her to come back for a guest spot, so maybe they were hedging their bets. But they were never able to arrange that.

A season or two later, there was some question about Jack's behavior, and I believe it was from a defense attorney, either directly or through implication, and that's when they settled that she was dead. It may have been one of the crossovers with Homicide, because I don't recall seeing it in the numerous repeats on TNT.

18. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Since Dick Wolf seems to be a guy who likes bringing folks he's worked with before back, perhaps Christina Chang from Dragnet?

19. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Saw her on one episode of L.A. Dragnet, but didn't really pay attention. Can she act? We don't need another pretty actress that can't....

20. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

She's okay; I haven't seen her have to stretch. She's currently running around the hotel in a spacesuit on 24. But, then again, this is Law & Order; the characters aren't quite placeholders, but it's not a place where you need an acting tour-de-force.