What's new

Who Should Go In Front (1 Viewer)

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Allen,

What are you using for a center? I would put in front the set that most closely matches the center. Unless, of course, you have a distinct preference for the sound of one over the other, in which case I'd replace the center and possibly the surrounds.

-Robb

Nhan_H

Second Unit
I don't understand why you would purchase a pair of $1400 speakers and use them as rear surrounds and have a $600 pair in front?

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I don't understand why you would purchase a pair of $1400 speakers and use them as rear surrounds and have a $600 pair in front?
Would it be fair to say that he may like the sound of the $600/pr of Athenas at least equally as much as the $1400/pr of Rockets?

I would agree with Robb and use what best matches the center.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
Would it be fair to say that he may like the sound of the $600/pr of Athenas at least equally as much as the $1400/pr of Rockets?
Curtis, yes I definitely agree with you there. But my thought is that if he likes the Athenas that much, why not get 2 more pairs for the $ he spent on the Rockets? Or, better yet, purchase 1 (more) pair of Athenas for the rears and spend the $800 on a nice sub. It doesn't make sense (at least to me) to spend more than twice as much for your surrounds than your fronts.

And I do agree with yours and Robb's comments on the matching center.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
because at the time i thought the best of the best was whatever cost the most at best buy, the fact that a speaker can sound that good at only $600/pr startles me, then after i got my Athena Auditions series, AS-F2's, AS-B2's and AS-C1 without a sub, then after i got them, i started getting interested in looking up speakers and checkin them out at stores and stuff, well then i just wanted more, and from auditioning, Rocket RS750 was the best speaker for a price i could afford, and it's hard to compare it to the AS-F2 cause they sound..different and im not good enough to tell which one juding on the kind of speaker it is should go in the front and which in the back. I wanted to take my whole Audition series and bring it back for more expensive speakers, but i waited to long but back then i just would look at 2 speakers and no matter what the one that cost more just always seemed superior to me, its not like that for me anymore, but when it comes to judging what things SHOULD sound like im clueless, i have PB2-Plus comming so i dont need bass out of either of them but the way i saw it was i should put the AS-F2s in the back cause the've got 2 8"s in them and i thought that would just be better, but i wasnt sure and after finding out you dont really know where the bass comes from when you hear it it seemed pointless, i would of thought it would be better 2 put the one's with big subs in the back to bring out background explosions and stuff better but oh well.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
Athena AS-F2's seem so amazing to me, they sound so good and there so cheap, i went to tweeters and auditioned ther bostons and mirage and whatever else they have and they just didnt compete, some of them were more then twice the price and i got AS-F2's every sound locked in my brain

Nhan_H

Second Unit
For movie surround sound, information sent to the rears are for subtle effects, so it is a lot less demanding on the rear speakers. The front's where all the dialogue and "heavy" action takes place.

For multichannel hi-rez music (depending on the material), most of the speakers get quite a work-out.

Bass should be omni directional, but it's also dependent upon room configuration and placement. For example, I had my sub next to the main couch with a 4-foot wall separating the couch from the kitchen. I can tell where the bass is coming from much of the time. However, moving the sub to the front of the room, where it is in a corner helps a lot with the dispersion and non-directionality (if that's a word).

Glad you like like the Athenas. No point in spending a ton of money if the extra amount doesn't do much to entice your ears :) I don't know how loud you like to play your movies, but try to see which speakers would distort at a certain volume. It's good to have 2 sets of different speakers around if you want to experiment with different sounds and hear the different nuances of each.

Seeing that you already have an Athena center, you might not want to use the Rockets in the front due to timbre mis-match. Maybe use them in the front for stereo music listening. I'd hate to see those nice speakers relagated to the rear for HT applications, since they can do so much more :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks