What's new

who sells single surround speakers? (1 Viewer)

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
I am adding a pair of JBL Studio 36's for my surroud speakers, and would like to add another one for my rear surround. (6.1)

Does anyone know where I can buy a single S36? Are they available anywhere as single speakers?

Alternatively, does JBL offer any specific Studio speakers, sold singly, which are intended for expansion from 5.1 to 6.1?

From what I've seen it seems that most speaker manafacturers are missing the boat in this regard by not selling specific speakers singly. (or maybe it is the retailers that are missing the boat)

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Actually, you might be missing the boat by going for a single rear speaker. Even though the signal is mono, if the speaker is directly behind your head (as in a center seated listener), the rear sound will appear to come from in front of you, which is not the desired effect. (Try it some time). Therefore, most folks recommend dual rears.

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Good point, but I'm not going to buy an add-on amp to get capability for one more mono speaker.

Also, since most people but stereo equipment at Best Buy or Circuit City, etc; and most newer A/V receivers offer 6.1 a lot of people are going to be asking how to get that sixth speaker...

joe logston

Stunt Coordinator
you can buy a center channel speaker for the rear center, on two rear centers would you have two front centers, thank you, joe

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
"you can buy a center channel speaker for the rear center, on two rear centers would you have two front centers, thank you, joe"

well, 7.1 means two speakers in the rear, not two centers, and the two speakers in the rear are mono, your welcome, tony

joe logston

Stunt Coordinator
the question was about 6.1 with is the right set up 3 speakers in front & 3 speakers in back thats what 6.1 is plus the sub or subs, thank you joe

joe logston

Stunt Coordinator
so far there is no 7.1 solf ware yet so why have 7.1 thatsnot the right set up right now it mite be later but not now all your dvds are 5.1 or 6.1, thank you, joe

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
the answer simply suggested a (better) alternative, 7.1., place your single rear center behind your head, play some music, it will appear to come from in front of you, uncanny

joe logston

Stunt Coordinator
tony its joe on the 7.1 speaker set up it would be better if the solf ware was 7.1 to and it depends on the room to the distances from rear center to your ears and the price of one more speaker the 7.1 is like haveing two sets of rear surounds but if it makes it sound better go for it i will try it to. on paper thats not the way it suppose to be i can be wrong the people that set up the dvd sound can be wrong. thats kinda why i got a 6.1 receiver, actually the one i got is 8.1 with 2 effects the yamaha rx-v1 i did not use the effects for a long time but got them configerd in it sounded alot better so i was wrong then so you mite be right i got to check it out. thankyou, joe logston

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Well, let me follow up here and just ask this then... of Tony in particular...

Would I be better/just as well off forgetting about the rear surround speaker? With just one rear surround will I be gaining anything at all over 5.1?

If not, I'll be more than happy to save the bucks... (since I[d have to buy a pair anyway)

Don't have room for a "center" channel speaker... the couch is against the wall, so a "thin" surround woould be the only thing I'd consider. (JBL S36 in particular)

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Well I think you've answered your own question. Since a center channel in the rear does not work, and they don't sell a single S36 I would save up and get a pair of S36's. I think you will be happier with the coverage that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks