Who says videogames aren't violent?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mark Shannon, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

2. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

not to pick nits, but it sounds like the kid was violent, not the game.

infer all you want, but it doesn't even say what game he was playing. for all me know, it could have been super mario brothers or dance dance revolution.

=/

3. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Them Mario Brothers Games sure is violent Pa... :wink:

When you think about it, they kind of are... Throwing fireballs at creatures thus lighting them on fire and burning them up... Stomping on creatures to kill them by collapsing their bodies... Getting hammers thrown at your head... Drowning a giant turtle in boiling hot lava... Killing the 7 children of said enemy by drowning them in hot lava, stomping on their their skulls, etc...

Lol... The list goes on and on...

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Reading history books makes people violent, because then they will learn of all the things that were taken from them in the past, or see how great their society/culture once was. They will want to get that back, through violence!

So I say, burn all history books!

5. James T

James T Screenwriter

Don't forget about the magic mushrooms [​IMG]

6. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

[​IMG]

The constant video-game-causes-violence hysteria pisses me off. It's nothing different from the previous generation losing their minds about Dungeons & Dragons. Or the generation before that about rock-n-roll. Or the generation before that... etc..etc..etc..

/rantmodeoff

7. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Father: "Son, that video game is TOO violent. Turn it off and come watch the evening news with me." [​IMG]

8. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

There's more truth to that than anyone would care to admit.

9. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Yea we're in such a violent society these days. Gotta love going to the local stadiums and watching the slaves, prisoners, low lifes, and animals thrown into pits with each other while beating and butchering each other to death. Man they never used to have entertainment like that.

10. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Personally, I agree with you. I think that whole notion is major bull. I just happened to find the article interesting enough to post. The thread title is jsut my lack of imagination.

Possibly what we should be focusing more on, however, is the growing trend for youngsters, in general, to be more violent. It could be the new radical (and albeit more leanient) forms of punishment, or just the way the interactions in modern society are witnessed by young eyes. Whatever it is, I feel this is a much more important issue than the amount of violence in video games.

11. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

But are they really? Is there a larger percentage of teenage violence these days or did one person make a stink about it so now it's "news?" Has the more widespread mass media of today just put it into everyone's home so we hear about it all the time. If you think about it, 50million teenagers are likely to produce more violence that the 15million from yester-year...

12. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Crap, I grew up watching GI Joe smash and blow up Cobra every afternoon. Played cowboys with cap guns (can't hardly find those anymore) and enjoyed Lawn Darts as a kid.

These same kind of incidents happened then, too.. they just didn't create the front page news they do now.. with 24/7 news, there has to be something on TV to report on, so these little tragedies get trumpcarded like they are monumental first time ever disasters.

13. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Mark,

LOL... Your right... I do notice things like that...

Here is another example... Parents tell children not to watch that cartoon... It might disturb them... Same parents that weekend... Let's go see Passion of the Christ...

14. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

OooOoooOO... Lawn Darts. I remember playing that. I also remember the hysteria they caused. (Granted, they WERE steel-tipped things that could penetrate skulls...so perhaps not the BEST example...hee!)

I grew up watching Wile E get anvils dropped on his head every day, not to mention falling off cliffs and generating a little circle of smoke WAYYYYYY at the bottom. Never gave me the urge to try A)cliff-jumping or B)anvil-dropping. [​IMG]

15. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

This got me thinking...I can bet you that there were a LOT of kids who did violent things in the past, it's just that we (society) never knew about them because we never heard about it.

Now-a-days the parents would SUE Warner Bros. because their kid practically killed himself by jumping off a high cliff instead of the "old" days where (if you did something stupid like that) your parents would smack you in the head (even if you were already in a cast) and say "See what happens when you do stupid things" [​IMG]

When I was younger, I jumped on the back of my moms station wagon (along with a friend of mine) and she took off down the road...we we were playing "The A-Team" and pretending to fight. I jumped off the back of the car and rolled for like 30 yards :b I didn't get hurt, just a few bruises and ripped clothes, but my mom never sued the tv station...she just yelled at me and told me to get in the house.

But, I guess, that was back when parents had "BALLS" and weren't the whimpy kind like todays parents who never let their kids take responsibility for their actions. It's just easier to blame someone else. [​IMG]

16. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I think the "wimpy parent" is as overblown as "kids today are out of control." Yeah, they exist. No, it's not nearly the problem that everyone thinks it is.

17. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I don't know which way to go on this issue. There are very good points on both sides. Points I agree with are, way back when we didn't hear about kids and what not with knives, because if it didn't happen around us, then it didn't happen. We didn't have cable with news from around the country reporting on local stories. So that stuff may have been going on.

Second I agree that if you did something dumb you were responsible for it. But, I must say tv does put ideas in your head, and you learn from them. When I was a kid I wanted to be like cartoons and jump off of something, using a umbrella as a parachute. It didn't work, but I just jumped off the bed to try it. I wasn't dumb enuff to jump of the roof. But the next kid who knows. I also wanted to see if it was true to slip on a banana peel like on tv.

(hell yes it is true and I busted my ass finding out, lol)

18. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Kids today are definitely more violent. The proliferation of kids with guns is unreal compared to 25 years ago. We may not have had the net to share info so quickly but the other forms of media were quite present. Down here in South Florida, you've got kids killing kids. It may not be epidemic but it sure as hell is quite real.

The high schools that I and my friends went to never had metal detectors.

19. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston

Something to be said for Darwinism. [​IMG]

20. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

MarkHastings,
    You are right on the damned money concerning the wimpy parent syndrome that seems to afflict us these days.

When I was in sixth grade, I crossed a busy street on my bike, in complete disregard for the "rules of the road."
    A police car plowed into my bike and knocked me about 20 feet - bike destroyed. I was a bloody mess... chipped tooth, skinned-up arms, etc. The cop put my bike in his trunk and drove me home. My Dad politely thanked the officer for taking me home and apologized for my recklessness. When the officer left, Pops paddled my ass, grounded me for a week, and told me that I would need to buy my next bike with my own money.

Lesson learned. [​IMG]