What's new

Who Says Tobacco Companies Arren't Tarketing Their Product At Teens? (1 Viewer)

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Of COURSE people have the right to smoke; it's not illegal yet. But they don't have the right to force me to smoke, therefore they don't smoke around me. Similarly, I have the right to walk around naked, but not where they don't have to see me if they don't want to.

Here's the plan I came up with for getting rid of tobacco companies. For the next, say, five years, anybody of legal age can get a 'smoking' license. Real easy; just ask for one.

After the five year period, only people with the license can buy cigarettes. And they're limited to buying the equivalent of two packs a day. That way, no new people can get started, but people who are already addicted can merrily go on their way. The problem goes away in a generation.

I remember reading somewhere that if nicotine and alcohol were presented, out of the blue, to the FDA today, they'd be disapproved without hesitation. That smacks, of course, of urban legandism. :)

Mark Lee

Second Unit
Bhagi -
Re-reading my previous post, I realize that it might have been construed as blaming the secondhand smoke for worsening of their condition. Not at all. I agree with you in that their condition would most likely worsen as a natural course of the disease, rather than be directly attributable to a proximate cause (like secondhand smoke). What I was really driving at, was that with such poor lung function as it is (very often necessitating the use of a portable oxygen tank everywhere they go), one thing they don't need is a nearby cloud of airborne pollutants. (Though truth be told, many of the severe smoking-related emphysema/bronchitis patients I've seen still smoke....just walk into any VA hospital in the country, and check out the "smoking lounge." Remember Andy Garcia's character in Dead Again? Not an exaggeration.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks