What's new

Who owns the RKO film library? (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Does Warner own the entire library now?
Would it be plausible to make a comprehensive list of the best RKO films not on DVD yet?
I'd really love to own high-quality DVD editions of, The Cat People and Out Of The Past, but I'm sure there are many, many others that should be given a great DVD rebirth.
Thanks for reading.
Gordy

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Some RKO films are with Universal (like Hell's Angels and The Conqueror), but the majority is with Warner.

They're working on King Kong, Swing Time, and Top Hat for 2003.

Tim RH

Second Unit
How about BRINGING UP BABY and THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS for starters?

Also NOTORIOUS is an RKO film that isn't owned by the WB.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Actually, I think the RKO library is still owned by RKO, but the stuff they still own is licensed to Warner...am I correct?

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
NOTORIOUS was a Selznick picture theatrically distributed by RKO. There were others as well. Also, I believe some of the early Disney animated movies were distributed by RKO.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
NOTORIOUS was an RKO picture which Selznick had developed, then had to sell to RKO because he couldn't afford to finish it (due to cost overruns on DUEL IN THE SUN). RKO later sold it back to Selznick, as RKO also did with 2 earlier films Selznick was involved with at that studio: TOPAZE and A BILL OF DIVORCEMENT. Before they went belly-up in the late '50s,RKO was selling off lots of pictures and remake rights before they finally unloaded what was left of their library.

The current company called RKO owns only remake rights to the old pictures.

The old RKO library (without those titles already sold to others) is owned by Turner with distribution controlled by Warner. Rights to these films outside the U.S. were sold off to various entities years ago.

THE CONQUEROR was part of the Howard Hughes library. He bought it and JET PILOT back from RKO after he sold the company to General Tire. His small cache of films was eventually purchased by Universal in the '70s

HELL'S ANGELS was originally released by UNITED ARTISTS.
It was NEVER an RKO film, and it belongs to Universal now by virtue of their ownership of the Hughes pictures.

The reason more RKO films are not out on DVD is that the library was terribly cared for by its previous owners, and Warner Bros. will only release the titles after restoration,
which is costly and time consuming.

The results are well worth it, as CITIZEN KANE and SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON prove out.

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
NOTORIOUS was an RKO picture which Selznick had developed, then had to sell to RKO because he couldn't afford to finish it (due to cost overruns on DUEL IN THE SUN). RKO later sold it back to Selznick, as RKO also did with 2 earlier films Selznick was involved with at that studio: TOPAZE and A BILL OF DIVORCEMENT. Before they went belly-up in the late '50s,RKO was selling off lots of pictures and remake rights before they finally unloaded what was left of their library.

The current company called RKO owns only remake rights to the old pictures.

The old RKO library (without those titles already sold to others) is owned by Turner with distribution controlled by Warner. Rights to these films outside the U.S. were sold off to various entities years ago.

THE CONQUEROR was part of the Howard Hughes library. He bought it and JET PILOT back from RKO after he sold the company to General Tire. His small cache of films was eventually purchased by Universal in the '70s

HELL'S ANGELS was originally released by UNITED ARTISTS.
It was NEVER an RKO film, and it belongs to Universal now by virtue of their ownership of the Hughes pictures.

The reason more RKO films are not out on DVD is that the library was terribly cared for by its previous owners, and Warner Bros. will only release the titles after restoration,
which is costly and time consuming.

The results are well worth it, as CITIZEN KANE and SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON prove out.
Hey Roger: Do you have any insight regarding who owns, The French Line - starring, Jane Russell? I'm curious not only being a fan of Jane, but 3D as well. I wish 3D Film Archive could get their hands on it for a 3D resto. Originally it was a Howard Hughes produced RKO film.

Shoot! I just realized this thread is from 2002.
Anybody home?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Hey Roger: Do you have any insight regarding who owns, The French Line - starring, Jane Russell? I'm curious not only being a fan of Jane, but 3D as well. I wish 3D Film Archive could get their hands on it for a 3D resto. Originally it was a Howard Hughes produced RKO film.

Shoot! I just realized this thread is from 2002.
Anybody home?
In my opinion, bumping old threads like this is good. It enables newer members to discover what has been discussed in the past and it reminds older members of films they'd half forgotten.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks