Who owns the rights to the Republic Pictures back catalog?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeEckman, Sep 23, 2002.

1. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I know Artisan has released a couple of the movies from the Republic Pictures back catalog, but I am specifically looking for a title from the late 80s called Scared Stiff. I actually own this on full frame laserdisc and am afraid that will be the only form of home video it will ever be released on. Does Artisan own the entire back catalog, or just parts of it?

2. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

3. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

I'll give you a simplified version of a much difficult answer.

Viacom/Paramount is now the owners of Republic Pictures and its library. Paramount Domestic Television owns the television rights. Paramount's "Classics" division owns the theatrical distribution rights. Artisan Entertainment only owns the home video distribution rights as they signed a licensing deal with Republic shortly after Spelling consolidated its divisions (which Republic was one of them). I must stress that Artisan does not own the Republic films themselves, nor do they own Republic Pictures.

Republic's library includes nearly all their output made between 1926-1989; about 55% of United Artists' pre-1953 output (including "High Noon"); the UM&M/NTA backlog (which includes the Fleischer cartoon shorts [with the exception of Popeye and Superman]), "It's A Wonderful Life", and most of the NBC, Quinn Martin, and Spelling television output.

4. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Wow, that is a complicated agreement, but thanks for the answer. I guess the answer to my question about Scared Stiff is, "who the heck knows?"! [​IMG]

5. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I'd just like to see Hal Hartley's "Trust" (1991?), which was released on video by Republic, get a decent DVD release.

I have a hilarious screener tape which is Trust on one side and Beastmaster 2: Through The Portal of Time on the other!

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

The short answer is if you want a DVD of Scared Stiff, Artisan is the people you should be bugging. I think they have 3 or 4 years on their license to run, so the more time they have to make money off discs, the better, so I'd press them now instead of later.