What's new

Who owns the rights to "Metrpolitan"? (1 Viewer)

John Lloyd

Second Unit
I would love to see this classic Whit Stillman film as a widescreen release on DVD. Who owns the rights to it?

I am forced to watch the P&S laserdisc and it is painful to watch some of the scenes; there are heads that appear to be chopped off and characters that are definitely missing from some scenes.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
My favorite Stillman film, ahead of Barcelona. I'd be thrilled with a bare-bones OAR release right now.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
I love this movie. Is it not on DVD? I'm really surprised by that. Wow, just checked amazon.

They need to release this.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Love the film as well.

I believe this was a New Line release, released on video by Columbia so the rights are probably in limbo.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I've never seen it, but I love Barcelona and The Last Days of Disco. I'd pick this up in a heartbeat.

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
Isn't LDOD also OOP? Wasn't that a Polygram title that has yet to be reissued by Universal?

Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

I also love the trilogy of films, especially because they are going back in time from one film to the next.

1990: Metropolitan: Present Day (Early 90's)
1994: Barcelona: "The Last Years of the Cold War" (Late 80's)
1998: Last Days of Disco: (Early 80's)

By that logic, we can expect Stillman's next film to dive right into the heart of the 70's! He's already two years behind schedule!

CDE,

CS

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I loved Metropolitan, and would buy the DVD instantly. I sure hope "they" release it soon!

Ted

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I recently saw Barcelona for the first time and enjoyed it enough that I'd like to see both Metropolitan and The Last Days Of Disco.

John Lloyd

Second Unit

Is that the correct timeline? I always assumed the Metropolitan was before LDD, perhaps the late 60s. Some of the characters show up there briefly as older people who actually have jobs.

Dan D.

Stunt Coordinator
You're right, John. Audrey Roget from Metropolitan shows up briefly at the club as an executive at a publishing company. I don't think it was even a speaking part, the other characters were just commenting on her. I believe Metropolitan was actually supposed to take place in the 70s, but I'm not positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks