Who owns THE PAWNBROKER rights?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dick, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    An Indie company called Lopert produced this Sidney Lumet movie back in 1965. It has seen numerous VHS and one Laser release (pan and scan) from Republic. Am wondering who currently holds the rights... and whoever it is, would you PLEASE release this powerful film on DVD? This was arguably the late Rod Steiger's finest performance, and should receive a timely DVD release in OAR.

2. Rain

Rain Producer

I don't know who owns the rights, but I'll second the request to release it on DVD!

3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

A very powerful movie. IMO, this is the movie that Rod Steiger really deserved the Academy Award for. Interestingly, I saw this movie on a local TV station in the mid-70s uncut. The first time I'd seen nudity on a local, commercial TV station.

4. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Lopert was actually the shadow releasing company for United Artists in the '60's: any time they had a movie that was controversial (read=very sexual) like KISS ME STUPID, TOM JONES, or MISSISSIPPI MERMAID, they shunted it off to "Lopert Pictures" to release.

Republic--the former National Telefilm Associates--holds perpetual rights to this film. So ultimately, Paramount are the people to beg for this award-winner on DVD. It's probably still tied up for now as the previous deals Republic made for video get unraveled and the library gets fused with Paramount's.

5. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Count me in for a release of The Pawnbroker as well. Steiger was never better and the flashback sequences still rivet and haunt in a way few films do. The editing was superb, especially in these scenes, and its influence can still be seen in current films like The Limey, among others.
    Hmmm, this is interesting. Some of these Lopert titles are still (or back?) under the control of MGM/UA. Mississippi Mermaid has been issued on DVD by MGM and the restored print of Kiss Me Stupid recently shown at Film Forum was furnished by MGM, as well. And on second thought, Tom Jones has come out on DVD under the MGM banner, too.
    Is The Pawnbroker in a separate field from these titles, or has MGM also regained the rights to this fine film?
    Jon

6. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I've never seen it, but I would rent and then most likely buy a release if it was ever done.

7. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

The Republic library is owned by Viacom (Paramount, etc.) but it's licensed for DVD in bulk to Artisan for the next 3 or 4 years. So Artisan is really the place to lobby.