Who owns THE LAST UNICORN...?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dick, May 15, 2003.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    This is an amazing no-show, considering the huge renaissance of animation on DVD. ITC distributed it once, and CBS/FOX released it to video (never laser, though, and never widescreen). Am wondering who is sitting on it now.
    Delightful film, the best work Rankin/Bass ever did, IMO.

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Family Home Entertainment (FHE) put out the VHS I own. If they still own the rights, that means Artisan. But there's no telling if the rights are still there.

Certainly, whoever the owner is, they are holding back on a DVD release until the new live-action film (starring many of the same stars as the animated film) hits. Strategically, it would make them the most $$$$$$. That's still about a year-and-a-half away, though...if you can't wait and can play European discs, there's a release in England and one in Germany:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

Minor correction, it was released on LD once and frequently sells for $50+ when it does come up for auction. I'm relative sure it was never released in WS version.

4. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    FWIW, the UK disc is apparently a 4x3 transfer while the German disc is 1.85:1 anamorphic. The German disc also has both German and English 5.1 and 2.0 tracks, so English speakers need not fear.

DJ

5. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

Family Home Entertainment (an outlet of Artisan) may own the video rights, but the main rights are held by Carlton International Media (the successor to ITC), and Artistan does have an output video deal with Carlton.

6. TimSniffin

TimSniffin Stunt Coordinator

Hopefully, when the Last Unicorn does come out on DVD, it will be the theatrical cut, which is actually the director's cut. FHE simply threw in any extra available footage for the VHS, which is why Mia Farrow "sings" on one song but doesn't for another.

7. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Every few months someone posts this same question (like accidental tourist and Dragon Slayer). There clearly is demand. I want OAR WS 16x9 and I want a *good* Transfer...preferably a decent HD-downconversion.

Did the rest of you watch this over on cable as many times as I did?

8. Larry P

Larry P Stunt Coordinator

Yes, I wish any of the American animation studios would produce something this adult. I break down at then end when she says, "I regret". Powerful fairy tale. If only Disney realized that fairy tales should be dark like this is. Christopher Lee is awesome as the villain, Sauruman anyone?

9. TimSniffin

TimSniffin Stunt Coordinator