Who owns the home video rights to He-Man and the Masters of the Universe?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mike Miskulin, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Mike Miskulin

Mike Miskulin Second Unit

Even though just about every major cartoon property of the 80s is out, or coming out, on DVD, there are a few series MIA, most noteably Thundercats and He-Man.

Thundercats aside, who currently holds the rights to the He-Man library (both 1980s and 2002-2003 series)? Are these being held onto by Mattel for a really high payday or perceived lack of interest? Does a company hold any rights to these discs for region 1 release? Is the 80s series grouped into the Filmation library and if so, who holds those rights?

The old episodes as well as the new episodes are seeing release in other parts of the world and must be enjoying some manner of success. What's the hold up in the states?

mike.

2. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

It is, and I believe that those rights were purchased by a company in the UK not all that long ago. I don't remember the name of the company offhand but I think there was an HTF thread about it, and I am more certain that it was a TVShowsOnDVD.com news item under site news.

I'd love He-Man to come out in the states on DVD, and She-Ra while they're at it.

3. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

You're right Casey, here's the link to the TvShowsOnDVD.com story. There's been talk of another live-action He-Man feature film for 2006, that would be a good time to release Filmation version on DVD if the movie actually happens, although I wouldn't complain if there was a surprise release in 2005

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Entertainment Rights Co. of the U.K. holds the property to He-Man and She-Ra, and it's most certainly on their minds. They are talking to potential studios, as you can imagine, but there's nothing worth reporting yet about the status of those talks.

And before you ask: no, I have no studio names to pass on to you at this time. [​IMG]

My entire family is waiting with baited breathe for news about this, so I'm looking for it constantly!

5. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

I dont know if this means anything but I remember Columbia had rights awhile ago.

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

At this time the only entity with rights is Entertainment Rights Co. of UK.

7. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Most logical choice for the studio to release it would probably be Rhino. Although I'd rather see it in the hands of Shout! Factory. [​IMG]

8. Mike Miskulin

Mike Miskulin Second Unit

Please, God, let it not be Rhino!

Wow, $20 million for the lot is a bargain. Now quit sitting on these classics and get out there and make some money by actually releasing the sets!

That answers the first half of my question. Now, who owns the rights to the 2002-2003 series that aired on Cartoon Network?

mike.