What's new

Who owns Paradigm Studio 100's? (1 Viewer)

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Chrisden, I have had my studio 100s for about 6 months now and I am very pleased with their performance in both music and ht! I use a pioneer elite 49tx reciever with a parasound 2205 amp and they sound awsome;)
Bob

Andy Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Chrisden,

I am using a Denon AVR-4800 and a Rotel RB-1090 amp.
I never have used the 4800 to drive my studio 100s. I added the amp the day I bought the 100s, almost 2 years ago.

Paul Gere

Second Unit
I, too am using a Parasound HCA-2205A with my 100's (v.2) and am very pleased. Pleanty of power, although I'm thinking now about even more juice in the near future.

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Have you run the 100's with just your Pioneer receiver? If so, how did it sound that way?
Yes I have and its sounds very good as well, but with the parasound the bass was noticeably better, more headroom, and plenty of power to spare:D
with the receiver alone I got shutdowns around -10 on the pioneer display from what I understand the 100s dip down to 2 ohms at some points, the parasound doesn't even break a sweat:emoji_thumbsup:
I listened to a lot of speakers before buying and let me tell ya not to many speakers will perform like these do for the money! but that's just my opinion;) I would highly recommend a decent 200wpc amp to power them in order to get the full potential of the studio 100s, parasound, rotel, b&k and many more!!!
Bob, Btw I biwire with kimber 4tc x2 to each speaker roughly $375 just for 4 runs of wire to the mains, but thats another issue too!

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
I have had my 100's v2 since June 1999. I ran them for a year with a Pioneer VSX-D1S receiver, a DPL unit with 135 watts across the front. The sound was good, but I went with the MCA-5 a year later with significant improvement. The AVM-20 followed the year after, Nov. 2001, and again the improvement was obvious.

With each upgrade these speakers allowed the improvements to shine on through.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I used to use a Yamaha RX-V1000, which had realistically 70WPC at the best of times. Sounded great! I didn't go too loud, so I don't know what would have happened. I now use a Bryston 4B-ST, which does sound better.

Martin.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
I am using a Sherbourn 5/1500A bi-amping the 100's at 200 X 2 with an Anthem AVM-20. I've read where it's best to pump as much juice into the Studio 100's as possible. As Bob recommends, 200 per channel if possible.

However, it seems that as many of the posters have written, they are very happy with a smaller level of power. I could do an experiment perhaps when I have the time to connect a Sony STR-DA777ES to them and see how it sounds at 110 WPC.

They are wonderful speakers for the money and a great foundation as you change components in your system.

Andy Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Chrisden,

Audio Buys did not carry Paradigm speakers until a few months ago. I got my Rotel amp and the speakers from Audio Video Solutions in Laurel Md. At the time they were the closest place to get Paradigm speakers. I have bought all my A/V gear from them. I met a salesman there that I like, almost 4 years ago, so I continue to give him my business, even though Audio buys is much closer to me and I like the people that work there.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
The pioneer shut down? WOW!

There is a store in town here that runs 100's off a Denon 4800 with no problems all the itme.

The amps in the 4800 might be more beefy than a pioneer though.

Daniel_M

Stunt Coordinator
I was driving mine with a Bryston 9B but the 120 watts per ch wasn't enough and I was getting red overdrive lights on the amp. I now have a Cinepro 3K6 (400w per ch)and they sound incredible, like I went out and bought new speakers. These speakers are real power hogs.

D.

Christopher Lyn

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm...I was actually going to upgrade my speakers to the 100s. However, I am using the Parasound HCA-1205A (5 x 140W/ch). Does anyone think that my 1205A will provide enough power to the Studio 100s?

Daniel_M

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

For Home Theater 140 watts will be fine. I got the red lights flashing on the Bryston while listening to Santana
at high volume. Get these speakers man, you won't be sorry.
And in the future if you upgrade your amp, you'll fall in love with their sound all over again.

Dan

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Chris,

I agree with Dan. The 140 watts on the HCA-1205A will be fine.

If you are concerned about power, perhaps you could bi-amp the 100's, leaving one excess channel for the center on the Parasound. Then purchase a used two channel amp and connect it to the rears. Food for thought.

Charles

Christopher Lyn

Stunt Coordinator
Daniel_M & Chas_T. Thanks for your response guys...much appreciated. I guess I will upgrade to the 100s first...A friend of mine is selling his EAD Powermaster 1000 for $2600 CDN. If my 140W couldn't handle the Studio 100s, then I may have bought his EAD instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks