who owns John Ford's STRAIGHT SHOOTING (1917)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Richard--W, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

I understand that STRAIGHT SHOOTING, Ford's seventh directing effort, is the only one of his silent westerns to survive intact aside from THE IRON HORSE.

Does that mean some of his other silents survive incomplete or as fragments?

Exactly how much of his silent films survive today?

I wonder if there is enough material to assemble a DVD of silent John Ford. I'm sure Ford fans would welcome a collection even if the films were incomplete or fragmentary.

Wouldn't it be interesting if STRAIGHT SHOOTING were included as a supplement on the forthcoming DVD box-set, or as the main feature to a silent collection.

2. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    I think I'm right in saying Straight Shooting belongs to Universal. There are snippets from several Ford silents - including Straight Shooting - included in the BBC documentary on the Great Man (the first part of a two parter) which is a supplement on the Criterion Young Mr Lincoln.

The lovely Taschen book, John Ford - The Complete Films, includes a filmography detailing which films are lost, what remains of certain films and so on.

It would be fantastic, I agree, to have a collection of Ford silents - maybe Criterion can ride to the rescue?

3. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Thank you, Mr. Hodson.

Criterion has never demonstrated much interest in silents. Kino, more likely, or Milestone. If you know anyone there, mention it to them.

4. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

The Taschen book reveals that there are a good number of Ford silent films extant - 15 or so - and fragments, sometimes whole reels, of others. More than enough for a decent collection.

5. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

sounds like the book is a must buy then